Sign in to follow this  
WTE_Pharoah

NGX - how do you?

Okay, I'm online and I've taken off from Sydney (YSSY) via Rwy 34L on the Richmond 2 departure. all sweet. however the online controller then clears me to FL340 and says 'cancel speed restriction under 10,000' - I go 'cleared FL340, cancel speed restriction, virgin blah blah blah'....then I do NOTHING....because I haven't the faintest idea of what to do given I'm on VNAV and its programmed as max 250/10000. My question is...how do I override? Do i go to the VNAV screen and go max angle or max rate or something, or do I just guess what the optimum climb speed is and input into the speed indicator??? I dunno.... thoughts?

Click the Speed intervention button and turn it to whatever speed

I think you can just hit "DEL" on the CDU and then select the line that has the 250/10000 restriction in the CLB or INIT REF page (forget which one). It should clear it out and the FMC will command most efficient high speed climb.Adam

You have several options. I would stay in VNAV and go the the CLB page and delete the speed restriction. Or you could hit LVL CHG and select the speed you want to climb at.

thats a good question, you could go into the legs page and increase the speed from 250 but still you need to know what the optimum climb, maybe set it to the speed that vnav will command passing 10k Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

The way I do it is hit the speed intervention button, dial it up so the AC is still accelerating, the VNAV will still control the climb, when you're above 10,000 just hit the speed intervention again and let the VNAV control it again

Hi,Just reset your MCP altitude window to whatever altitude you are cleared to (in this case 34000) then go into your CLB page on your FMS and delete LSK 3L (where it says "speed rest 250/10000"). Hope it works

I just checked, at at least on the ground, the speed restriction can't be deleted from the CLB page like I though. It may be different in the air, people with more NG knowledge will have to answer that one. I think the SPD INTERV is the way to go. Just dial it on up to about 310 and after 10,000 ft, hit SPD INTERV again. Like Di said, this way, you still get VNAV while controlling speed yourself.Adam

Hi,Just reset your MCP altitude window to whatever altitude you are cleared to (in this case 34000) then go into your CLB page on your FMS and delete LSK 3L (where it says "speed rest 250/10000"). Hope it works
That's what I said up there a few posts before but I did try this and at least on the ground, it doesn't work. We'll need an expert to see if this is possible in the air.Adam

Okay, another quick test done (I really should be working LOL.gif ) and once the aircraft is active in VNAV, the default 250/10000 speed restriction can be deleted from the CLB page which then will command maximum ECON speed based on the VNAV profile. I tested this in the sim. So, it can't be deleted on the ground, but once VNAV is active if ATC gives a "No Speed Restriction" call, simply click the CLB button on the CDU, hit Del on the keypad and click LSK 3L and EXEC and the FMC will command max ECON. I knew it either had to be able to be done or was buggy in the NGX because on page 11.41.8 of FCOM v2, it clearly states the conditions for the 250/10000 restriction. It doesn't say that it can only be done once in the climb so I don't know if the NGX handles it 100% accurately, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the real FMC handles it since PMDG have expended so much effort on making the FMC work properly. Adam

excellent, thanks all. thats one more thing I've learned about this pretty bird. okay, so just DEL the speed restriction in the VNAV screen - gotcha.