Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

NG Landing Gear

Just a question about the mechanics of the landing gear. As the wheel is exposed and there are no bay doors, I can see in the photo that the piece under the wing is fixed to the gear but what about the piece that fits around the fuselage. Is that a fixed piece or does it move into place to create a good fit against the body of the aircraft. Photo number 1905429 on Airliners.n Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I would think that it would only be fixed to the fuselage only. I don't see how it could be fixed to the gear in any way.

Mark, Here is a youtube video that shows the 737 main gear extendion cycle:

Regards,Jim Parkinson :-)

Jim Parkinson

Please repost link. I am an aircraft mechanic that regularly works on MD88/90 757 and 737 aircraft.

Please repost link. I am an aircraft mechanic that regularly works on MD88/90 757 and 737 aircraft.
here you go:

Jim Parkinson

Mark Let me see if I understand what your saying... so your referring to the curved part that is attached to the larger gear door thats also attached to the gear strut? (Apparently the avsim forums does not allow links to Airliners Net) If so, as you can see there are 3 doors to each MLG, the top-most door (small one) is attached to the wing and pivots at that attachment point. The larger door in the middle is actually fixed to the gear strut and does not move on its own but with the MLG. Attached to the 2nd door is a small curved door that fits around the fuselage fairing, this one moves at the attachment point on the bottom of the larger (middle) door. It is actuated by a linkage that is attached to the main cross brace and does pivot around as the door closes to form a flush fitting. You can see all of this in exact detail on the NGX, go into spot view, rotate down to the belly and zoom in a bit, play with the gear extension/retraction and you'll see it all work. I've painstakingly recreated the animation sequence that you see in some of the videos on you tube. Cheers,

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

Jason, Yes this is exactly my question and your have answered it perfectly. I was also able to see it in the video of the gear cycling. In the images below I wanted to confirm that item labelled #1 was fixed and curved piece labelled #2 was hinged and moved into place. I was not even aware of the third part of the gear assembly but will look for it on the NGX in spot view. gear1%252520edit.jpggear2edit.jpg

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

The fairing that you have labeled as #1 is called the Strut Door, and the fairing that you have labeled as #2 is called the Flying Door. The "Flying Door" actually does generate a small amount of aerodynamic 'lift' as the gear is lowered. It is designed to assist the gear if it is free-falling open with no hydraulic pressure. I am trying to remember the proper term for the smaller third door that is up at the top of the strut. Here is a nifty piece of Boeing trivia for you all...The B-767 actually has five (5) doors for each main landing gear! There is a main strut door and a smaller trunion hinge door just like a 737, there is a large hydraulically actuated inner door that opens just long enough to allow the gear to move up or down, then closes again, there is a much smaller mechanically actuated door on the bottom of the wing, forward of the gear next to the forward downlock brace, and there is an additional, fifth door. Does any one know where you will find the fifth door for each main gear (one per side)? There is a great picture that shows 4 of the 5 gear doors per side that you can see of Airliners.net, but Avsim won't allow links to the image. If you go there, and search through the 767 pictures with either "G-OBTH" or "28883/737" in the search field you will pull the image up.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.