Sign in to follow this  
nor969

dx9 v dx10

I have a problem with FSX, which is that when I run it in dx9 mode it consistently does strange things with the graphics (black screen, skeleton planes, etc); in other words, I can't use the simulation in dx9. In dx10, however, it works just fine. I can switch between full screen and windowed without any problems, and, generally, there are few if any problems. Can anybody help me with this? I read everywhere that I should never run fsx in dx10 because it is buggy and slow, but I find that dx9 is buggy, although it looks prettier when it works, which typically isn't for very long. Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance. Chris Herner

DX10 is buggy with FSX, I'n using DX9 without any problem for long time. Try a different video card driver. [GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1 add this to your CFG under Graphics section this should help as well.

Yea I tried that. I have also followed all the directions in the ngx manual for how to set up fsx and also the directions offered here for how to set up my nvidia drivers (I have a gtx 285). Anything else I can try? Again, any help is appreciated. Chris Herner

That has happened to me, basically when im overstressing my video card. Try backing off on the sliders or checking the temps of the GPU. In many cases a good cleaning can help.

Ok, I'll try and turn down the sliders and see what happens. Thanks for the help and if anyone else has any other clever ideas I am all ears. Chris Herner

I think FSX DX10 is just more 'beta'ish as I also think FSX was Microsoft's first DX10 game and was even out before the DX10 cards hit the market and why it says "preview" DX10. Might want to use a program like Driver Sweeper. Uninstall you video drivers via the uninstall area within the control panel and then run Driver Sweeper to clean any reminisce of them. Then install the drivers fresh. Maybe it's a "driver over driver problem". If that doesn't yield results then maybe delete your FSX.cfg and allow FSX to rebuild it and then apply the PMDG recommended tweaks. (HIGHMEMFIX=1)

Ok, I just tried turning down the drivers and it had exactly zero effect. So, now I will try the next suggestion and see if that makes a difference. thanks again and keep it coming! Chris Herner