Sign in to follow this  
HP1610

Upgrading BT25 from 2002 to FSX

Hi all,While installing FSX on new rig, I crossed an "old" BT-B25 disc I bought for FS2002 long time ago. Now I saw in MAAM's site that there are patches for FS2002-> FS9-> FSX but it's clear to me how to perform the upgrade sequence? Where to install the original CD? where to install the patches since the FS2002/FS9/FSX folders are not alike!I really want to fly again this great a/c I so loved in FS2002. Thanks for any possible tip,Shay

Hi Shay. I'm not sure I would even want to try that, myself! Seriously, there have been so many changes to the model since the FS2002 version came out that there are a lot of steps to update the package, and each multiplies the chances of something getting missed. You can certainly give it a try, if you are determined. Everything you'll need is on the Free Stuff Pages and if you follow the instructions carefully, you should (theoretically, at least) manage to end up with a flying B-25 in FSX. Here's the order I would suggest. 1) Add 'Briefing Time' Upgrade for FS2004 2) Add the Bare Metal Textures for FS2004, if needed. (Depending on the age (what edition) of the FS2002 CD you have, you may or may not already have the Bare Metal and Gunship) 3) Add the Falcon Gunship Add-On for FS2004, if needed. 4) Add FSX Basic Compatibility Update for FS2004 5) Add FSX Transparency Fix for FSX SP2/Accelearation The catch is that unless you have FS2002 and 2004 installed on your system, you would need to install the CD and then the various patches to dummy FS directories. I'm tempted to try out this process, myself, just to see if it works. But frankly, I have very little hair left to pull out in frustration, and I'm not that masochistic! I'll let you be the guinea pig, if you dare. But even if successful you would still not have the latest version 7 features. There can be no free upgrade to V7 because we would essentially have to give away a working aircraft in the upgrade "patch", as all of the vital parts have been modified for FSX. That would be a little counter-productive to our goal of supporting the museum! I think you would find a purchase of the 7th Edition would be well worth the price, though, and the museum can certainly use the money. Aside from all the new features, the fully-automatic FSX installer will find and install to your particular FSX directory, whereever it is on your system, whether it's Win7 32 or 64 bit (one of which I assume you have on your new rig), or any previous OS. No fuss, no muss at the push of a button. Whichever way you go, good luck, and please let us know how you make out. You may have to keep a journal of your trials and tribulations, though. :-)

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hi Bill,Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess you are right and its just dont worth the efforts. Buying the new disc seems the right way to go and in any case, for a good cause. I do remember MAAM as a nice little cosy museum when I last visited it few years ago. (I'm from Israel).Now... what about the DC-3 disc I have for FS2004? The DC3 is my all time favorite and I do remember that I managed to re-install it after moving from FS9 to FSX. Is there any new patch/package here that may make life easy? Thanks for any help,Shay

Hi Shay, We appreciate the donation. :-) There is indeed a new edition of the DC-3 which has an installer for FSX. Unlike the v7 of the B-25, which has a lot of new features in the latest edition, the R4D/DC-3/C-47 v10 is simply the FS9 package with the available FSX patches already applied and put into an FSX installer. So there is not as much incentive to spring for the new one, unless you want to skip the manual upgrade process, or just have more money you want to throw our way. ;-) The detailed instructions that come with the FSX Basic Compatibility Upgrade for the Douglas should lead you down the right path.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org