Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kantk2008

Hey guys, any tips on landing this bird well?

I don't know if it's just me but I find this aircraft to be the hardest to land smoothly out of all my FS addons (Even harder than the MD11X and 744X) It just seems to drop out of the sky on approach, and then when I flare, it's really sensitive and if I don't get it right I float or even climb. If I don't flare enough, I drop on the runway and give the tires a huge beating. There seems to be a really small margin of error during landing. Are there any tips from people on how to manage landing this bird? I'm still trying to figure it out. My usual loadout is 40 Flaps and VREF+5 with about 10% fuel remaining...I still have problems landing sometimes! Cheers Karan.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

When I first got the plane I used the MD11 and 747 flare height of between 20 -30 feet and floated a bit down the RW @ SFO. With 737NG it's more like 10 - 20 feet and as you said it's a fine line of too much or not enough. I use Flaps 30 VREF+5 unless I need the 40 for better stopping to make a high speed turnoff or the runway distance requires it. Or using the short field package. I think PMDG modeled ground effect so you might be getting some of that as well. After about 20 flights now with 25 or 26 landings (only one auto-land) I got a much much better hang of landing it and personally found the right flare with my hardware. I still needed to find the right retard time. After I'd floated that one time I went and ran some touch and goes @ HNL and after a few it was much smoother with landing and finding the right flare and retard combination. Although practice make perfect so that should be stronger then any tips. Maybe FS Record your landings to watch back and rate your landings. If not using the HUGS I suggest that, at least in learning if you did not want to use overall. With a quick read of FCOM in the HUGS section and all the information it can provide that helped too as it give indications that can be very very helpful on your decision making and timing. Maybe watch a auto-land to see the aircraft handle the task effortlessly.