Sign in to follow this  
bluepilot76

editing ATIS range?

I couldnt pick up my ATIS untill I was practically at the starting poing for the STAR. So it was a hell of a rush to get the FMC programmed. Is there a way to increase the range of the ATIS?

I couldnt pick up my ATIS untill I was practically at the starting poing for the STAR. So it was a hell of a rush to get the FMC programmed. Is there a way to increase the range of the ATIS?
I suspect not as somebody would have done it before now. I agree with you about the ATIS range ,its okay if you are flying a Cessna at 80 kts not so good in an airlliner at m75 nearing your destination. I don't have an FMC to program , but I do have to re-do my FSNav plan(you can use FSNav as a sort of FMC) if the my initial choice of runway for landing is incorrect.(And it can all seem a bit fraught )By the way ASKy does have the ability to tell you what your destination airports weather is (doesn't actually tell you which runways are in use), but it does give you a good idea if you note the wind direction.Anyways I agree ATIS range needs to be greater.PS why do some major airports in FS9 not have any ATIS at all? unless airports use some other technology in the real world I cant see any good reason not to have it.PPS I cant always select the ATIS even if it is available ,because the frequency given will not be available in my COMM radio.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Hi Horatio,Its a good point about the ASE ATIS, I forgot about that, although somewhere like Amtserdam in calm winds we really do need to know what runway to prepare for!.As for airfields that are missing the ATIS, it might be that they are not on a comms frequency. For example- My local airfield in real life is Inverness (EGPE). The ATIS is actually on the VOR frequency (109.2) and I can listen to it by depressing the Nav to phones switch on the intercom panel and turning up the volume on the Nav radio. It is still a recorded voice message on a loop. However I am pretty sure that it is either not available in FSX or that it is on some other made up frequency. Probably not the latter.

If you think programming the FMC at the star entry point is too late then try flying online. Several times I have been assigned a runway on short final, 5nm from the threshold. With the air around me crammed full of jetliners. Its intense!

Yeah well I only went online once. To see if it was working I got in a C172 at KLAX. I was cleared to taxi to runway 27 I think. I had a monumental brain fart and lined up on 09 just as someone was approaching. I got shouted at and have been too embarrassed to ever go back there! Actually I did try again in scottish airspace but there never seemed to be anyone else around. All my online flying since then has been in a spitfire (IL2) or more recently a sopwith camel (RoF)

Hi, There's a payware developed by SkyTalkTeam that adds a more realistic ATIS function to FSX (including adjustments on the range), it's called Real ATIS. I don't have it, never tested but I've been trying to find out for a long time if it is really good and makes the ATIS more realistic. regards,Igor