Sign in to follow this  
metzgergva

VOR display issue due to xwind?

I was flying from Boston to Buffallo and en-route one leg is from VOR CAM to VOR SYR with a track 290. SYR was dialed into VOR1 with exact that radial of 290.NGX_01 shows the map flown by the AP in LNAV mode. All looks good except that the VOR1 pointer is off by about 5 degrees to the left.NGX_ 02 shows the same situation but with VOR1 display. It switches to HDG up, which is correct to my understanding, but the VOR deviation bar is off to the left. If I would fly the AP with NAV, it would take a different course which irritates me.On NGX_03 I have changed the radial dial to 285 - the 5 degree offset observed at the beginning and the VOR display then would look correct but would deviate me from the 290 track.On NGX_04 I switched back to map mode keeping the 285 radial in VOR1 and the radial display shows the offset but to the wrong side.Conclusion: I looks like there is a calculation/display error from the wind factor into the VOR display. Could someone verify this? Thank you.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Am I the only one flying VOR navigation or at least use it as a backup to LNAV? Or am I wrong with my obeservations/conclusion? Any feedback would be nice. Thanks!

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Am I the only one flying VOR navigation or at least use it as a backup to LNAV? Or am I wrong with my obeservations/conclusion? Any feedback would be nice. Thanks!
Enroute.. maybe But anyway. This could be caused by the navaid having a different location in FSX than in NAVDATA. Try updating your navaids and magvar (although I don't think that would change their original position). It could also be a problem only with these particular stations. Have you tried with other stations?

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Hi again,I flew the same flight one more time. I got your point on difference on NAV data, but would that not mean that it should also display the VOR symbol at a different place . It is exactly on the spot of the flight plan and the point of origin for the green dotted bearing line. I add here 4 more screens: NGX_5 & 6 show the situation earlier like you would intercept the course of 290° to SYR while you are heading for CAM. The green dotted line is not going through CAM as it should. Further if you would fly according the VOR deviation you are already beyond the the bearing 290 to SYR. So you basically get conflicting horizontal situation information on the display. NGX_8 & 9 show the situation after CAM to SYR and I deleted all weather. My assumption that the shifts come from the xwind have proven to be wrong. So it must be something different than xwind that causes the difference in display by 5° I will look at other pairs of VORs to see if it is depending on location later.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

I did some more test flying in Europe and the above described problem did not appear. So I looks like it is a problem with the NAV database.Sorry for bothering you.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

I too have noticed this, and ended up turning off the VOR course lines off in the display options in CDU, as they were hardly ever accurate.. I updated all the FSX navaids I could, plus the marvar update. Still no luck. Most of the NW where I fly seems to suffer from this. But I've just dealt with it.

I did some more test flying in Europe and the above described problem did not appear. So I looks like it is a problem with the NAV database.
Another possibility -- since magnetic variation is close to zero in most of Western Europe, could it be that the problem is related to this? Martin Boehme