Sign in to follow this  
Cygnus_X1

Default Virtual Cockpit Night Lighting Question

One thing that really disappoints me is the night lighting in FSX's virtual cockpits. For example in the 737-800 vc, It seems in order to have the screens and gauges light up, you must turn on the cockpit interior lighting (panel lights). This of course is highly unrealistic and it makes it hard to see out the window for (for example) landing. My question is: Does anybody know of a download or texture mod that can fix this issue? Or is there a way to turn the brightness down at least? I would use it on a merged POSKY 737 VC and an merged Project Airbus A32X VC. I know, this question has probably been asked way before me, but I searched and found no satisfactory results. Any input is highly appreciated. Regards, Matthew. For clarification, basically what I was hoping for was a VC night texture where the gauges light up but the interior lights don't.

Guest jahman

Too bad you don't fly the A2A Simulations Accu-Sim B-17: A2A simulate very well the UV cockpit light in the RW B-17 that makes the white markings on the black intrument gauges glow green (fluorescence) at night just like the numbers on your analog watch. Terribly cool! 30.jpg Cheers, - jahman.

One thing that really disappoints me is the night lighting in FSX's virtual cockpits. For example in the 737-800 vc, It seems in order to have the screens and gauges light up, you must turn on the cockpit interior lighting (panel lights). This of course is highly unrealistic and it makes it hard to see out the window for (for example) landing. My question is: Does anybody know of a download or texture mod that can fix this issue? Or is there a way to turn the brightness down at least? I would use it on a merged POSKY 737 VC and an merged Project Airbus A32X VC. I know, this question has probably been asked way before me, but I searched and found no satisfactory results. Any input is highly appreciated. Regards, Matthew. For clarification, basically what I was hoping for was a VC night texture where the gauges light up but the interior lights don't.
Don't know how familiar you are with the aircraft.cfg file but there is an edit that can help. What I did was to add a SMOKE section to the config file where I can activate the vclight separate from the panels light switch. Also needed to comment out the normal vclight found in the LIGHTS section. Here is what I have for the POSKY 737-600 using the default 737-800 virtual cockpit. With this setup I can just get the night lighting without the overbright lights and in addition, during the daytime just pressing the "i" key (normal for smoke) I get a much brighter cockpit for day flight. Works for me. Here's an example from my POSKY 736... [Views]eyepoint = 42.9, -1.34, 2.05 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum [sMOKESYSTEM]smoke.0 = 42.9, -1.55, 1.9, fx_vclighth //Add vc lights for day usesmoke.1 = 42.9, 0.0, 2.9, fx_vclighth //Add vc lights for day use [LIGHTS] //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logolight.1 = 2, -49.500, 0.000, 7.000, fx_strobeh // Tail Strobe Lightlight.2 = 2, 1.70, 0.00, -4.90, fx_beaconb ,light.3 = 1, 9.10, 0.40, 9.55, fx_beaconh ,//light.4 = 4, 47.60, 0.00, 3.00, fx_vclighth , Hope this helps. Phill

Jahman, that cockpit does look very cool! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. That type of lighting is exactly what I'm looking for. ^^Phill, thanks so much! I'm assuming I just add these lines to my Aircraft.cfg? Or do I have to replace it with this? Thanks again! If my system could run it, I'd be getting the NGX which has this lighting built in, but alas at the moment I am unable to upgrade. This will definitely do though. Matthew

Hi, sorry to revive this topic,I found a file on SurClaro that was pretty much what I was looking for. However, when i tried to install it, the lighting textures loaded in the VC incorrectly with different textures messed around all over the place. Keep in mind it was for the default 737-800 and I tried to install it on my posky 737 with vc. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks! Here is the file: http://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-19492.htmlRegards,Matthew

If you have photoshop, you can open the dds files and simply vertically flip them over..Actually, I'd attach the corrected dds file, but I have no idea how to attach dds files.