Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suchw

Flying Manually in LNAV not easy

Hi All I tried my first departure manually following the FD, Vnav was ok to track but LNAV was difficult to follow very twitchy and sometimes did not seems to be tracking the path itself this caused me to overshoot, is it meant to be that difficult as I expected it to very smoothly track the FMC flight path kind of reminded me of the CDI needle sensitivity when close to a VOR, just wondering if others think this is sensitive or not quite right

Wayne such

Fullstops yo

Pete Walsh

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 16gig DDR4 - GTX 2060.

Hi All I tried my first departure manually following the FD, Vnav was ok to track but LNAV was difficult to follow very twitchy and sometimes did not seems to be tracking the path itself this caused me to overshoot, is it meant to be that difficult as I expected it to very smoothly track the FMC flight path kind of reminded me of the CDI needle sensitivity when close to a VOR, just wondering if others think this is sensitive or not quite right
the deviation from the magenta path on the ND will obviously be bigger when you have the range selected to 5nm.Trying to chase the FD on the attitude indicator is not always easy nothe skill you have to develop is to relax with the controls and make little adjustments. i'm not particularly good at it myself but it has been worse. it may also depend on the sensitivity of your yoke or joystick.

Antoine v Heck
---
i7 980x, 12Gb RAM, Asus P6T deluxe V2 MB, GPU 780GTX (6GB VRAM). 500GB SSD drive, FSX Steam Edition + Xplane10.5 + XP11pb

ill give you full stop man ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I must admit my Yoke is a CH yoke and they are not very good in terms of smooth movement

Wayne such

Lol @ full stops banter.Smooth control inputs and anticipation of the course is key to good hand flying.

Jason Lee

FD works ok, but I have to admit NGX's flight director is lazy compared to the real one. That is a fact.

Omar Josef
Currently: B737 First Officer happily flying for a major European carrier (you know which one).
Previously: A perpetually red-eyed B757 cargo pilot.
737/757/767 type rated

Yes I have noticed that following the hgs circle for dep in lnav it seems to be a liitle behind the drag curve, I've managed to make couple of deps were I was pretty good at keeping my circles together, yet the path was way off, it then doesn't seem to be very good at anticipating recapture either when you are getting back on track.I've learnt to over anticipate it now to make up for it's slow response to get better track following, could of course be user error but maybe PMDG do need to look at it?

Regards

James Carr

I've learnt to over anticipate it now to make up for it's slow response to get better track following, could of course be user error but maybe PMDG do need to look at it?
See, that's the thing. In the real airplane, anticipation is provided by the FD. As i said, the FD is a bit lazy, but it's not the end of the world.

Omar Josef
Currently: B737 First Officer happily flying for a major European carrier (you know which one).
737/757/767 type rated

I believe the best FD is in leveld's 767 which is also probably the best hand flyer of all times (they've been fine tuning it since FS2000 when it was called 767 Pilot In command).

Omar Josef
737/757/767 type rated

Yes love the leveld, was virtually all I ever flew till the ngx came out.

Regards

James Carr