Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

A couple of questions after my first online flight in the NGX

Just completed my first online flight in NGX and have a couple of questions: - After starting up from a cold & dark state going through all preflight items I then noticed during taxi to the rwy I had no brakes. I couldn't understand what was the problem, the HYD pressure was good, the brake temps were good but finally I noticed I had one active failure which happened to be the brakes. What I don't understand is why I got this failure since I haven't (at least not deliberately) activated any failures. Looking under PMDG options service based failures are OFF and I haven't activated any random triggers either under the a/c options. - When I was climbing out from the airport using VNAV I reached my initial altitude given by ATC and the a/c leveled off but once I was cleared to continue the climb to my final cruise level I wasn't 100% sure how to make VNAV continue the climb after I dialed in the new altitude on the MCP. What is the correct way to continue to climb in VNAV if you want to follow real procedures as close as possible? - During final at my destination there were some low clouds so I wasn't able to see the rwy. Then all of a sudden I got a private message on IvAp from a pilot in front on me also on short final where he asked me to slow down and seconds later and just in time I was able to take over the controls from the autopilot and banked hard to the right avoiding what would have been a very embarrising mid-air collision on short final... I then turned back for a second attempt and this time all went fine with no one in front of me this time! What I was puzzled about is why he didn't show up on TCAS and why I didn't receive any TCAS warnings (Traffic, traffic...)? I had the transponder mode set to TA/RA. I belive someone else had experienced online traffic (in this case on IVAO) not showing up in the NGX TCAS - maybe this is a known issue? - Another thing on final, I was shooting the ILS onto rwy 19L at KSFO and although I had the correct ILS freq and front course and CMD A and B pressed and activated it still reported 'Single Channel' on the PFD? TIA for any input!

Richard Åsberg

Just completed my first online flight in NGX and have a couple of questions: - After starting up from a cold & dark state going through all preflight items I then noticed during taxi to the rwy I had no brakes. I couldn't understand what was the problem, the HYD pressure was good, the brake temps were good but finally I noticed I had one active failure which happened to be the brakes. What I don't understand is why I got this failure since I haven't (at least not deliberately) activated any failures. Looking under PMDG options service based failures are OFF and I haven't activated any random triggers either under the a/c options. - When I was climbing out from the airport using VNAV I reached my initial altitude given by ATC and the a/c leveled off but once I was cleared to continue the climb to my final cruise level I wasn't 100% sure how to make VNAV continue the climb after I dialed in the new altitude on the MCP. What is the correct way to continue to climb in VNAV if you want to follow real procedures as close as possible? - During final at my destination there were some low clouds so I wasn't able to see the rwy. Then all of a sudden I got a private message on IvAp from a pilot in front on me also on short final where he asked me to slow down and seconds later and just in time I was able to take over the controls from the autopilot and banked hard to the right avoiding what would have been a very embarrising mid-air collision on short final... I then turned back for a second attempt and this time all went fine with no one in front of me this time! What I was puzzled about is why he didn't show up on TCAS and why I didn't receive any TCAS warnings (Traffic, traffic...)? I had the transponder mode set to TA/RA. I belive someone else had experienced online traffic (in this case on IVAO) not showing up in the NGX TCAS - maybe this is a known issue? - Another thing on final, I was shooting the ILS onto rwy 19L at KSFO and although I had the correct ILS freq and front course and CMD A and B pressed and activated it still reported 'Single Channel' on the PFD? TIA for any input!
Setting your altitude on the MCP is correct and then press ALT Intervention to let the plane continue it's climb. Single channel is the correct annunciation and will change to Land 3 at 1500 ft for a fail operational autoland.Rollout & Flare will also Arm at 1500 ft. You will see that on the PFD.With a fail passive autoland it will change back to CMD at 1500 ft and only Flare will arm. You might need to change the TCAS "Show all traffic " setting in the CDU display options.

Thanks you very much Frederic for your fast answer, much appreciated !!
Very welcome !! Enjoy.