Sign in to follow this  
pcubine

MTOW

Take a look at page 2-2 of this Boeing document provided by Vroute Premium http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/md11sec2.pdf. It indicates at MTOW of 602500 lbs. It shows optional MTW up to 633500 but no optional MTOW. Several times in the past I have tried their fuel calculator but it can't be used because I always exceed the MTOW. So I questioned them about it and received this document in the reply.

Link does not work.
Kenny It works ok for me by clicking on the link in the post above. Anyway try this link http://www.boeing.com/commercial/overview/index.html. Then>About Our Products>Out-Of-Production Models>MD-11>Detailed Technical Characteristics>MD-11>2.0 Airplane Description and then go to page 2 of the document. Michael Cubine

Take a look at page 2-2 of this Boeing document provided by Vroute Premium http://www.boeing.co...s/md11sec2.pdf. It indicates at MTOW of 602500 lbs. It shows optional MTW up to 633500 but no optional MTOW. Several times in the past I have tried their fuel calculator but it can't be used because I always exceed the MTOW. So I questioned them about it and received this document in the reply. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I also noticed that discreapancy in the specs but I haven't been able to find an answer for it. I think I'm going to contact one of the MD-11 drivers (current or former) and ask them about it. There are several that monitor PMDG's websites and their work - they also can be reached via Airliners.net. I imagine they can find the answer. I work in the aviation maintenance community (B-52H) so I can contact some of the Boeing folks that work with me about getting specs that may not be on public websites. I'll let you know if I have any success. I noticed the specs on your system - could you tell me where you purchased it or did you build it? I'm replacing my desktop and I want to "raise the bar" so to speak and get a system with some headroom for now and the future. Any info is appreciated. Thanks, Mark Nault

Mark I got the MTOW changed to 630500 from 602500 at vroute premium by sending them several images of the PMDG MD-11 and 11F Load Manager and an image of a page from the FCOM showing the MTW of 633000 and MTOW of 630500. I also explained to them that the Boeing document made no sense listing optional MTW and no optional MTOW. A MTW of 633000 just does not equate to a MTOW of 602500. The MD-11 would need to taxi for hours to go from 633000 to 602500. Unfortunately now that I got the MTOW corrected, vroute premium shows too much fuel required for long distance flights. Vroute premium shows a EDDF-KLAX flight requires more fuel than the MD-11 can hold at 2/3 cargo. I have made that flight many times using 235000 to 245000 with 2/3 cargo. Vroute premium is spot on for the 737NGX on domestic flights but not so for long distance flights. The reason I like to use it is because it allegedly takes into account winds aloft. The system I have was built by another person who specializes in FSX systems, I used to build desktops back in the middle 90s’ but with advancing age I just can’t do it anymore. Plus when I built them there was a lot less hardware available to select from. The problem for me is not assembling the computer but trying to make a correct decision as to what hardware to use, Most components have instructions and the cabling is only going to go together one way. Michael Cubine

MTW and MTOW are often confused and also used interchangeably: MTW and MTOW can both be used to indicate maximum takeoff weight.MTOW can also be used to indicate both Max Taxi Out and Max Take-Off Weights (the take-off weight is most assumed, as taxi out is generally more preferred at ramp weight).

Kyle Rodgers

MTW and MTOW are often confused and also used interchangeably: MTW and MTOW can both be used to indicate maximum takeoff weight.MTOW can also be used to indicate both Max Taxi Out and Max Take-Off Weights (the take-off weight is most assumed, as taxi out is generally more preferred at ramp weight).
In the link to the Boeing document MTW was being used as Max Taxi Wt. and MTOW was used as Max Takeoff Wt. I understand what you are writing but the way the terms were used in the Boeing document it left no doubt as to what was meant. Michael Cubine

I have access to the Boeing intranet as part of my work with the BUFF. I don't know if my access covers it, but I can ask about researching the commerical aircraft specs during a lunch hour this week. I'll let you know what I find. BTW - I believe I read in the 737-900 NGX Tutorial #1, 0.00.14 of 97 (I'm not nuts about using the tutorial for a reference, but...) they say that earlier versions of their product used MTOW for max taxi weight but MTW was the new and truncated term. Again, I'll take a look at the real world books and see if that is correct. I thought as others in this forum did that MTOW was max takeoff weight. C ya, have fun. Mark