Hello,Less than a year ago I got a GTX470 card and I am very happy with it but now I have time (and money!) to upgrade everything else.So I'm getting a new motherboard (Z68), a new processor (I7-2600K) and 8Gb of DDR3 RAM memory.I just don't know what to do regarding a new graphics card. Should I get a GTX580 and "waste" the less than a year old GTX470 I already have or should I get another GTX470 and go with an SLI configuration?I'm assuming I would get better performance from the 580 BUT would it be a lot better than 2x470's?I have money for the 580 but don't know what to do... Anyone else had similar questiona when the time to upgrade came.Any advice welcome.Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

Hello, Less than a year ago I got a GTX470 card and I am very happy with it but now I have time (and money!) to upgrade everything else.So I'm getting a new motherboard (Z68), a new processor (I7-2600K) and 8Gb of DDR3 RAM memory.I just don't know what to do regarding a new graphics card.Should I get a GTX580 and "waste" the less than a year old GTX470 I already have or should I get another GTX470 and go with an SLI configuration?I'm assuming I would get better performance from the 580 BUT would it be a lot better than 2x470's?I have money for the 580 but don't know what to do... Anyone else had similar questiona when the time to upgrade came. Any advice welcome. Thank you in advance.
You did not say anything about your HDD? I would probably add an SSD to atke advantage of the Z68 before I upgraded my 470. Won't help FSX though. I would do a 580 before I did 2x 470. Sli is useless.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

A 470 is still a very good card. I wouldn't expect too much of a perf increase with a 580.

Thank you both for your suggestions. From what I understood I should save the money I was going to spend on a brand new GTX580 and use it to buy an SSD instead?Is the 470 SLI configuration such a bad idea? I'm not talking about FS9 and FSX only...Maybe I should wait for the next generation of cards to hit the market? Thanks again.

Regards,

Hugo Bravo

LPPT

Thank you both for your suggestions. From what I understood I should save the money I was going to spend on a brand new GTX580 and use it to buy an SSD instead?Is the 470 SLI configuration such a bad idea? I'm not talking about FS9 and FSX only...Maybe I should wait for the next generation of cards to hit the market?Thanks again.
Pocket that SSD money and wait for a new architecture in the Nvidia line. You hit the nail on the head. You will be utterly disappointed with the addition of an SSD, unless saving 20 seconds on boot up is a huge deal to you. I sold my 120GB Intel SSD because I was completely unimpressed. A bigger waste of money would be to purchase an SSD for the purpose of Intel's SRT on the Z68. Of course if one has money to burn, be my guest. It will help load times.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thank you both for your suggestions. From what I understood I should save the money I was going to spend on a brand new GTX580 and use it to buy an SSD instead?Is the 470 SLI configuration such a bad idea? I'm not talking about FS9 and FSX only...Maybe I should wait for the next generation of cards to hit the market?Thanks again.
From my side it was really more of a question as to what HDD you use currently. I would look at my HDD before upgrading a 470 GPU. To SLI in my opinion is a waste, if I had a need for more GPU I would just buy a 580. While SSD (depending on which one and how it is setup) may not provide a large gain in FSX performance it will speed up other applications. An Intel SSD311 is $100 much cheaper than a video card and depending on your current HDD a Vrap or a big 1 or 2TB set of HDD would likely net you more performance for the buck than upgrading the 470 alone. I would run SRT on the SSD OS and FSX on seperate drives.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.