Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Elevator effectiveness

Hi guys,I´ve just got the C337 and took her for a spin arround Boonah. Really impressive. Flew the C206, one of Carenado´s first FSX plane before. An enormouse gap between the C206 and the C337.But on my test flight I noticed two things: 1. The elevator is very effective and sometimes a bit too sensitive (mostly in turns and takeoff). Is this effectiveness like RW?Can this be turned down a bit?2. I´ve noticed that only little to no rudder is needed for turns. Is this RW behaviour? But overall very positive, the frames are just perfect and everything is darn sharp.

Guest bstolle

1. The elevator is not overly but very effective as it is directly in the slipstream of the prop and there's no fuselage and vertical stab in the way to reduce its effectiveness. At VA you can just barely pull 4Gs so not even at high speed you are overstressing the plane.2. Most prop planes need only very little rudder when entering the turn. The sleek twin booms and the two tails contribute to this nice behaviour. Furthermore the 337 has differential ailerons which help to reduce the adverse yaw a lot. During the FDE development I had to real 337 pilots for testing and they liked the behaviour a lot and I used their feedback to finetune the handling. To answer your question, yes you can of course reduce the elevator effectiveness in the cfg file to your liking.section [flight_tuning] elevator_effectiveness = 1Please note that the 337 has an exceptionally high speed range and therefore the elevator seems to be a bit 'nervous' at high speeds.But you need the elevator authority because at low weights you can fly the final approach at a very low 50kts so you need a powerful elevator if you want to have effective pitch control.

Like most Cessna's with Frieze Ailerons....you barely need the rudder in normal situations. Actually...not sure if the 337 has them or not?

Guest bstolle

Yep, the 337 does have frise ailerons

1. The elevator is not overly but very effective as it is directly in the slipstream of the prop and there's no fuselage and vertical stab in the way to reduce its effectiveness. At VA you can just barely pull 4Gs so not even at high speed you are overstressing the plane.2. Most prop planes need only very little rudder when entering the turn. The sleek twin booms and the two tails contribute to this nice behaviour. Furthermore the 337 has differential ailerons which help to reduce the adverse yaw a lot. During the FDE development I had to real 337 pilots for testing and they liked the behaviour a lot and I used their feedback to finetune the handling. To answer your question, yes you can of course reduce the elevator effectiveness in the cfg file to your liking.section [flight_tuning] elevator_effectiveness = 1Please note that the 337 has an exceptionally high speed range and therefore the elevator seems to be a bit 'nervous' at high speeds.But you need the elevator authority because at low weights you can fly the final approach at a very low 50kts so you need a powerful elevator if you want to have effective pitch control.
Thanks for the detailed information. If I want to decrease the effectiveness a bit, does the value have to be over 1 or below?

Guest bstolle

You are welcome.1 = 100%0.5 = 50%

You are welcome.1 = 100%0.5 = 50%
All right, thanks. Update: Changed it to 0.8. Much better now.