Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lizardo

ROFL, this must be a joke

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'll resist the urge to be offended by that remark. To answer your question, Pease International Tradeport in Portsmouth NH used to be a US Air Force bomber base. It has an 11,300 foot runway that can handle any aircraft flying. Pan Am currently runs scheduled commercial service from Pease. It is close to major Interstate highways and is only about a 45 minute drive from Boston. Flying into Pease eliminates the delays and hassles associated with Boston's Logan airport. I don't know anything about Luton but my guess is it's a heck of a lot easier to get in and out of than Heathrow or Gatwick. Tourism has a major economic influence on all of New England. If the quoted fare is correct I can see how this would appeal to vacationers on both sides of the Pond. For business travelers, Massachusettes and New Hampshire are considered the Silicon Valley of the east. Microsoft, Sun Microsystems, and many other technology companies have major facilities here.I'll get off my soap box now. Come visit. You might find there's more here than you thought.Mike BromleyHudson, NH

Sorry to offend you. I didn't realize how close in distance Boston is from NH. Still seems kind of weird to me that this airline wants to fly to NH on their first run. I wonder if it is to get away from the big city airport fees due to the fact that these guys seem to be a little shaky on these details of their airline?http://timbo87.home.attbi.com/eric/Delta747sig.jpg

Don't worry about it. It's passed. :-lolOne of the reasons they might be using Luton to Pease is that they might not have been able to get a landing slot at the bigger airports. Fortunately, most of the big cities have reliever airports that help reduce the load. When I fly I try to go out of Manchester NH instead of Logan. Like most big airports, getting into and out of Logan is a pain in the you know what.Mike

The trend, especially when it comes to lower fairs, is to avoid the busy, expensive hubs/airports. This is common in the US and in Europe.In addition, when it comes to large metropolitan areas, not everyone lives in the city, or close to the major airports.I just flew out to Long Island McArthur (ISP) the other night, and Southwest practically "owned" the place (try to find them at JFK, LGA, or EWR though). ISP is also about 45 minutes from Manhattan, depending upon traffic, and there is also a huge population base on Long Island to begin with.Also, if I were faced with say a 1/2 hour drive to Logan, but once there had to endure lines, hassles, potential delays, AND pay a higher airfare, while New Hampshire was an hour away, but suffered no lines, hassles, delays, and I got a lower airfare, well, I might just spend an extra 1/2 hour in the car.Thus, service to New Hampshire may make more sense than one would think, and I would also suggest that the airline may have done some research in this regard, and is not just shooting blind. ;-)The state of New Hampshire might also be given them some financial incentives. The same way that New Jersey lured many businesses across the river from Manhattan.What this airline is doing is not at all uncommon, and is a growing trend. As to their financial abilities, that is a different story, and I cannot comment, but the philosophy has proven a sound one in other markets elsewhere. This is really nothing new, except that here we are seeing it with a trans-Atlantic service, as opposed to a domestic service.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F..._FORUM_LOUF.jpg

767s at Luton!!!??? And I thought the 737 takeoffs were challenging!Vince

Well, A300's can get in and out OK. I believe Luton is OK for 767's, just don't know how the terminal facilities will cope with it.

Does anyone have an idea about what the comparative landing fees would be? I know the difference between Cincinnati & Lousiville is enough to make the hour's drive worthwhile.