Sign in to follow this  
trebor737

Winds - On approach

Hi,I am having a bit of trouble with the winds on approach into landing. I have Active Sky weather and also have a registered copy of FSUIPC.When on approach the winds change over from aloft winds to approach airport winds at about 2500ft, this causes the aircraft to go off the LOC and then its a battle to get it back stable for landing. Is there away that i could force FS to change over the winds at say 5000ft before I capture the LOC?Cheers

There is a setting within active sky and I can't remember where right now -- but mine is set at 10,000 feet.

Hi,I am having a bit of trouble with the winds on approach into landing. I have Active Sky weather and also have a registered copy of FSUIPC.When on approach the winds change over from aloft winds to approach airport winds at about 2500ft, this causes the aircraft to go off the LOC and then its a battle to get it back stable for landing. Is there away that i could force FS to change over the winds at say 5000ft before I capture the LOC?Cheers
You need to practice your flying skills to counter windsheer!!vololiberista

You need to practice your flying skills to counter windsheer!!vololiberista
Unfortunately, that's not the problem. It's a quirk with active sky and FS9. Sometimes if you don't have your minimum "change ranges" or "don't change weather below FL xxx" (or whatever those two settings are called). It's happen to me and it's not icing -- all of a sudden the barometric pressure drops to 0, I lose all instruments and go into overspeed. Just really had to tweak the two for a while and now it doesn't happen any more.

In FSUIPC you can use the wind smoothing function based on degrees per nm I believe and also altitude changes. Some of these options can be controlled within AS. See "winds" around page 9 of the FSUIPC user guide. Note that some of these only apply to weather provided by an external application (such as Active Sky). This function can also smooth rapid direction changes when crossing reporting weather station boundaries along your route.Be sure you are not using an AS mode that requires full time global weather mode which forces all existing weather in FS to that of your aircraft location as you fly along. That can disturb AI patterns and ATC runway assignments.If severe weather is around you can get into a wind shear situation as mentioned.It is not unusual for wind direction to change between surface winds and aloft winds and when crossing a weather front and that is a condition to watch out for as in the vertical profile you might cross the front (rapid wind direction change) as you descend. Where the two weather systems meet at a front boundary you might get wind 'burbling' depending on the gradient of the two systems. A warm front has a gentle slope as you enter it as it is actually the trailing edge of a cold air mass. Think of a drop of liquid going down an incline. That drop is the cold air mass.http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Warm_fronthttp://en.wikipedia....wiki/Cold_front

Actually, flying through windsheer and turbulence is not realistically modelled in any of the sims. Only in the "real world!"vololiberista

Active Sky does add turbulence. There is also a turbulence setting in FS9.cfg. I have it set to 0.4. This is not to be confused with wake turbulance created by preceding aircraft.