Hello,I'd be grateful for any input you guys might have over the following.Yesterday I was having a cursory look at overclocking. Whilst trying to familiarize myself with my BIOS settings I noticed that the clock speed for my processor (Intel Core Due E8400) showed 2.0Ghz. In windows, when I click properties on My Computer it shows the processor as 3.0Ghz.The question is which one should I believe? I know that it is supposed to run at 3.0Ghz, but does the fact that it is showing in the BIOS as running at 2 mean that my computer is throttled back somewhat?Grateful for any advice that you might have - I apologise if the above description is a bit vague.OliIntel core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz1333 fulhd lga775 ati rs600 ddr2 giga3gb ramNvidia GTX460 1GBWindows 7 64bit650psu

If you have done no overclocking this CPU should be running at 3.0GHz. I think it showing 2.0GHz is the C1E Halt which brings the frequency down when the CPU is idling. If you are unsure still, download CPU-Z.

If you have done no overclocking this CPU should be running at 3.0GHz. I think it showing 2.0GHz is the C1E Halt which brings the frequency down when the CPU is idling. If you are unsure still, download CPU-Z.
So you are saying that this would show up as 2.0Ghz in the bios screen (after hitting Del at startup) because of this?

Oh sorry, read it wrong. I don't exactly know, are you sure its not just the multiplier at 20x which I dont even think they are for the E8400. I have a E8400 based system so I may check later.

It could be speedstep or the C1E

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Oh sorry, read it wrong. I don't exactly know, are you sure its not just the multiplier at 20x which I dont even think they are for the E8400. I have a E8400 based system so I may check later.
I am absolutely positive that it's not the multiplier. I have tried to change that to 9x to bump the speed up to 3.0Ghz but the bios settings will not save and upon rebooting they have reverted back.

I am absolutely positive that it's not the multiplier. I have tried to change that to 9x to bump the speed up to 3.0Ghz but the bios settings will not save and upon rebooting they have reverted back.
Why don't you reload default bios settings .

Why don't you reload default bios settings .
Tried that - I loaded default settings on the first screen of the bios page - it shows 2.0ghzLoading optimized default settings shows 3.0ghz but these fail to save on exit and subsequent reboot.

Tried that - I loaded default settings on the first screen of the bios page - it shows 2.0ghzLoading optimized default settings shows 3.0ghz but these fail to save on exit and subsequent reboot.
BIOS not saving, how is CMOS battery ? how about the jumper setting ? have tried updating to a newer bios ?

Finally had some time to spend at my computer. Downloaded CPU-Z. Does the fact that the core speed is at 2000Mghz mean that my computer is running about 1.0ghz slower than it should do?

Hey your multiplier is too low . So 6 x 333 = 2000 you need to change that. 333 fsb that looks high.for 3.0 Ghz FSB 200Multiplier 15.

Hey your multiplier  is too low . So 6 x 333 = 2000 you need to change that.    333 fsb that looks high.for 3.0 GhzFSB 200Multiplier 15.
Unfortunately I am unable to use your suggested settings because the highest the multiplier can go is 9x which means that I can only get to 1.8Ghz. I have attached two screenshots - the first is the settings I have at present, the second are the settings that happen when I load the optimised defaults. The trouble is that it wont save these when I exits and it reverts to the first screenshot.I have changed the battery for a new one and I have never moved the jumpers around.Thanks very much for your help so far by the way.

Unfortunately I am unable to use your suggested settings because the highest the multiplier can go is 9x which means that I can only get to 1.8Ghz. I have attached two screenshots - the first is the settings I have at present, the second are the settings that happen when I load the optimised defaults. The trouble is that it wont save these when I exits and it reverts to the first screenshot.I have changed the battery for a new one and I have never moved the jumpers around.Thanks very much for your help so far by the way.
You could try resetting the CMOS using the jumper. I am not sure about this one but can you try enabling CPU HOST CLOCK CONTROL in the BIOS (1st attached image).Try a BIOS update.