Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

VATSIM event with the NGX

It's a constant bugbear. I hate having to ask controllers to repeat something six times because it makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing.Thing is just because they're a controller doesn't mean they have state of the art gear.But, like someone said of free resources, if you're unhappy, get a refund! LOL.gif

Not a bad idea Johan. I usually find it's the younger sounding guys that perhaps have the cheaper equipment (NOT always tho).

The event tomorrow is Cross The Pond Eastbound, and there's supposed to be (like always) 400+ aircraft above the Atlantic scattered across 4 NATs usually. This even requires good (close to perfect) knowledge of position reports to Oceanic Control (Shanwick on the EU side, Gander on the US side) and at some points there might be up to 50 aircraft on 1 frequency, making it very difficult to hear your callsign between all the other blatter!But, if you feel you are good enough for this event, then sure do! I'm afraid I can't join it for the 3th time in a row due to personal commitments, damn it...
What on erath is Shanwick?Oceanic is done officially by PrestwickThx Ian
My new Audio FX Pro Headset came by FedEx today. It was the very last thing I needed to try flying online. I have registered at VATSIM, and done a lot of reading. I am very confident flying the NGX. I can manipulate the FMC in the air to any forseeable ATC direction. The only thing I am a bit worried about is the unknown. I don't have a clue what to expect from ATC from the gate to departure. After that, I would be okay. Even arrivals don't worry me much. I am also a little confused about how to hook up your computer to VATSIM. Some of the tutorials and videos are conflicted.They have a big event scheduled for tomorrow. I know a lot of people on this forum fly VATSIM, and I was wondering if you think a complete noob like me could participate, and what I should expect. Step by step. Thanks in advance.
Enter in the flight plan that you are a newbieThat helpsThx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

What on erath is Shanwick?Oceanic is done officially by PrestwickThx Ian
Because the callsign on VATSIM IS Shanwick, smartass ;)

What on erath is Shanwick?Oceanic is done officially by Prestwick
I thought Shanwick was just an amalgamation of Shannon and Prestwick control who shared oceanic? Or am I out of date?

I thought Shanwick was just an amalgamation of Shannon and Prestwick control who shared oceanic? Or am I out of date?
That is my understanding as well.

Guys to a certain degree you might be right. I only knew about this and I quote'During October 2009, NATS transferred its Oceanic ATC operations from the former Prestwick Oceanic Area Control Center (OACC) into the £300m Prestwick Centre. The Prestwick OACC had been located within the Scottish & Oceanic Area Control Centre, (ScOACC), at NATS' Atlantic House facility, adjacent to the Prestwick Centre. The Prestwick Centre is also home to the Scottish Area Control Centre, (including, since January 2010, the former Manchester Area Control Centre), and the Scottish Air Traffic Control Centre (Military).'Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better