Sign in to follow this  
andy9164

Windows 7 64 bit

Hi All,Visiting after a long absence.My old P4 Dell machine could no longer cope with the stresses and strains of daily PC life, decided enough was enough and after many years of service went up in a puff of blue smoke to the great PC graveyard in the sky.My new machine arrived at the weekend and one of the first jobs was to get FUII and FUIII running again. Having spent 3 hours searching the house I found the disks and started the install. I installed FUIII and then added the San Fran area but unfortunately the game will not play. It just sort of freezes and then I need to use Task Manager to close it down.I tried running it in different compatability modes but no joy. I also downloaded the FU patch 2.0 but that will not install. Again its so long since I did this I might not even be doing it right or that could have been for FU2. It finds version 1 says it will patch to V2 but then gives me the error "Old file not found. However a file with the same name was found. No update was done since file contents do not match"Does anybody have any ideas?Any help to get this great game back up and running will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in AdvanceAndyP.S. now have to search the house again looking for UKS which I have on some disks somewhere.

Hi, AndyWelcome to FU3 forums.One quick thing to try: right-click on the patch and run it as admin.Another idea: do you have the proper patch? There is us and uk.The game without the patch should work. Try adding:nomoviein flt3.cfg to bypass the opening movie. The movie requires some old codec and if not found might cause the hang-up.

Thanks Naji.OK, I was using the wrong patch. Had to dig around on the internet to find the UK version. Now updated all ok.I put the nomovie line in the config file and now when I Run i go straight to the main FU3 page.So, some progress made but.....I cannot do anything else. I do not have a cursor I can move and select the options, with the exception of "Exit". Even then it is more of a small change in the Exit icon when I move my mouse around in the general direction and exit the program but nothing else.Will try play around with my pc settings but in the meantime if anybody has any further suggestions it would be appreciated.Andy

Right-click on its shortcut, Properties, Compatibility. Run it in WinXP SP2 mode. Also check both "Disable visual themes" and "Disable desktop composition". Also check "Run it as admin".See if this works.

Hi Andy,I hope you keep your old hard disk, then the easy way is just to copy the full FU3 folder to the new drive.That way all patches and settings are ready. For the UK-south region this way is the only feasible installation.good luckAndre

Andre, since you are here, may I ask if you have the file for Weather Unlimited by Markus Brunner? I downloaded the one on his site and it doesn't work for some reason on my rig as per the thread I posted earlier. Does yours work?Sorry to ask this in this thread.

Latest Update....Managed to recover the FU3 files from the old PC. Copied onto the Windows 7 Professional 64-bit PC with exactly the same problem.Enlisted the help of a friend and copied the files onto his Windows 7 Professional 32-bit PC. FU3 worked.Conclusion, 64-bit is a problem.From what I have read 32-bit programs should run on a 64-bit system but its not guaranteed so I may just be unlucky.Same friend suggested I install Windows XP mode and Windows Virtual Machine software onto my PC which Microsoft say allows PC to run as if it were an XP machine. This is the next task.Will keep everyone updated.Andy

Naji,Thats intersting. Can you let me know how you did the install and did you do anything special or just copy over all the files from an older machine.I have tried installing from scratch and also copying over from my old XP machine but both times I get the same results.Maybe its nothing to do with the install but some other problem (graphics card, pc setup etc)Just added after I posted. What version of Win 7 64 are you using. Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate Andy

Win 7 Ultimate.Have you tried what I mentioned last:Right-click on its shortcut, Properties, Compatibility. Run it in WinXP SP2 mode. Also check both "Disable visual themes" and "Disable desktop composition". Also check "Run it as admin". FU3 wouldn't run at all on my rig if I don't make the shortcut properties as above. It is quite finicky to get it running on modern computers.Hope you solve it.

Sorry for being so long to reply, usual "other" pressures of daily life.So today I started again from the beginning. Found a friend with an XP Pro machine. Loaded FU3 and added San Fran Scenery from FU2 discs. All worked 100% on his machine.Copied all files onto a USB memory. Copied over in to my Programs folder and did the compatability settings as suggested above, run as administrator etc. Still no FU3.I am beginning to wonder if this is a graphics problem Program starts up ok on the main menu but looking at it, the cursor never seems to fully appear you can see bits of it in the bottom right hand of the screen but it disappears completely about a 5th of the way upwards and halfway when moving Right to Left.Totally confused.I am running 64 bit Professional and I cant see that Ultimate has anything more that may affect it.Will keep trying.Andy

1. What is your graphic card ?2. try to run FLED3. Check if you have to modify the path in fu3.cfg file, if the copied fu3 from stick is not in the same path than on the xp systemgood luckAndre

Hi Agtim,Thanks for your suggestions, no success but here are the answers.1) Graphics card is an "onboard" Intel HD Graphics. Have updated to latest drivers.2) I can run FLED but as you can see from the atttached screenshot the quality and texturing is very poor.3) I looked in the flt3.cfg file and there seems to be no reference to file locations.Andy

WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!Major step tonight. Uninstalled the Intel HD Graphic driver. Rebooted PC which picked up a generic video driver and can get into FU3 and fly.Problem is my monitor resolution isnt supported on the generic driver and obviously some other stuff isnt supported as I cant change the 3D acceleration driver in the FU3 options but at least now I know where the issue is and can work from there.Thanks for all the suggestions. Will keep you all posted.Andy