Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

PMDG 747-400 AP Problems

I have ZERO issues with the PMDG 747, and I use ASE with FSUIPC set to do all the wind smoothing, and no DWC in ASE.

DWC in ASE always caused me trouble, (Although I never remember it causing this) I never use it. I do all my wind smoothing through FSUIPC. Since it set weather globally I could be flying through the jet stream with high winds, say 230@130kts, If I viewed AI at ground level, they were being tossed around the airport like paper dolls. My suggestion at this point if the registry fix didn't work, is ask for support over in the PMDG forum, and also put in a support ticket. There must be something else wrong with your installation that we're not seeing. When I had the problem, I don't remember the plane going out of control like you report. On mine the plane would lose track of the magenta line in LNAV mode after about 5 minutes flight and begin S turning searching for it, which progressively got more severe as time went on, but the plane always remained in control. What you describe is a little different.
Not really, it is the same for me, but with much less wind. The banking gets more severe with time until the plane is in 90 degree angle or similar and crashes due to overstress. I'll try a flight in ASE normal mode....anyone noticed any kind of difference between DWC and normal?I already issued a support ticket and they just told me to deactivate all weather. Well, what I do know is that it is wind caused, so if I deactivate winds, I am sure its gone. But flying without winds is boring. ;)

Same issues here. I tend to avoid the plane now as a result which is a shame because it was one of my favorites in FS9. I'm glad many here don't have the problem, but many do which tells me it's more than just "something with your installation". There seems to be a commonality that no one has discovered for whatever reason. If you don't know what it is then fine, I get that, but the "I don't have a problem so it must not exist" stance is not really useful. Nor is it relevant.

- Aaron

It is relevant because it is evidence that with the proper ASE and FSUIPC settings, the issue is resolved.

Not really, because ASE DWC mode proviedes the most accurate weather in FSX and is unusuable with the PMDG 747. PMDG blame FSX limitations for all their problems, while this may be correct considering the most realistic approach, I dont know why it does not work when using FSUIPC smoothing.I mean, we all hate FSX wind shifts and its not realistic when wind changes from 270/100 kts to 90/100 kts in one second, but I dont know why the 747 does not work with smoothing then. If you smooth out the wind to 1 knot or degree per sec, what else is there???

Guest jahman
Not really, because ASE DWC mode proviedes the most accurate weather in FSX and is unusuable with the PMDG 747
Does this include ASE SP3?Cheers,- jahman.

Does this include ASE SP3?Cheers,- jahman.
I updated to Sp3 as soon as it was released, but I may have found a solution: the "rate of weather change in FSX" setting in ASE, I reduced it from 50 to 20 % and I am on a test flight right now. Until now the AP keeps track pretty good.

Forget my last post, 5 minutes after typing this my AP went to a 60 degree uncommanded turn again because of a 2 knot wind shift

OK I got it solved:The Problem seems to be an everytime-there conflict between ASE and FSUIPC wind turbulence. As soon as I suppress wind turbulence in FSUIPC, its gone.But how do FSUIPC and ASE work together? If I tell FSUIPC to suppress effects, does it suppress ASE turbulence loaded into FSX as well? Since I changed that, my rides seem very smooth....

Guest firehawk44
OK I got it solved:The Problem seems to be an everytime-there conflict between ASE and FSUIPC wind turbulence. As soon as I suppress wind turbulence in FSUIPC, its gone.But how do FSUIPC and ASE work together? If I tell FSUIPC to suppress effects, does it suppress ASE turbulence loaded into FSX as well? Since I changed that, my rides seem very smooth....
I just had this problem too with the PMDG 747 and ASE. I uninstalled the 747. I tried a flight using the 737NGX and no issues. With the 747, issues as if the wind is blowing the aircraft around like it was paper. I read on the PMDG forum that it could be a bad flight plan loaded in the FMC, and, yes, I did make some mods to the flight plan but it just couldn't stay on course. I read in the FSUIPC manual this morning (you did what???) you can add the line UseASEweather=yes in the general section and I did that. I'll have to reinstall the 747 to see if that fixes the problem (probably will wait for the updated 747 version that I heard was being worked on). I turned off anything regarding turbulance in the FSUIPC settings too and hopefully will use only the data from ASE.So, really no longer an issue for me as the 747 has left the hangar but just wanted to state I'm one of those who had the problem.Best regards,Jim

Well, suppressing the effects in FSUIPC did as I expected, turbulence is still there from ASE, and thats all I wanted. There really seems to be a conflict between both of them. Pete Dawson should consider giving the nonregistered version (which is required by many addons) the option to turn off added wind effects. (no one gets something he hasnt paid for that way) as ASE adds them as well and to prevent these problems, you need to buy a license.