Sign in to follow this  
Perry333

which CPU would you pick?

Debating which one I should go for, i7 2700k 3.50G quad core O/C to approx 5G or i7 3930k six core 3.2G O/C to approx 5G, Thanks for input.

Gee, I don't know because I would like to have either one.But seriously, I think the first Sandy Bridges make the most sense as the "advantages" of the newer one probably does not do much for FSX. In addition, Ivy Bridge will be reportedly using the 1155 socket MB so you'd be more future proof and further ahead with the 2700K.Kind regards,

I would imagine Ivy Bridge-E will also operate on socket 2011, but I still think LGA 1155 is the way to go. A six core socket 2011 beast is going to require much better cooling and the extra power is going to do next to nothing for FSX. You're future proof either way, but I just think 1155 makes more sense. 1155 is cheaper and should provide equal performance for FSX.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

There's a thread over at overclock.net with the first SB-E OC results:http://www.overclock...b#post_15688479Seems to be about the same as SB, which considering the extra cores, huge L3 cache, 4 channel IMC and all is quite impressiveAnyway, for FSX it's a waste of money, so get an I5 2500K

I would imagine Ivy Bridge-E will also operate on socket 2011, but I still think LGA 1155 is the way to go. A six core socket 2011 beast is going to require much better cooling and the extra power is going to do next to nothing for FSX. You're future proof either way, but I just think 1155 makes more sense. 1155 is cheaper and should provide equal performance for FSX.
I think Haswell which will be after Ivy Bridge should be on the LGA 1155 platform aswell.

Thats Interesting, I must be going by an old source. You wonder why they would knock off 5 pins.