Sign in to follow this  
airwolfe

Route/map problem after startup from ColdDark

I have been having a great time tooling around the country in my PMDG 738 for a few months now. This past weekend I decided to try a start up from cold and dark using a tutorial I found here some time back. I got the plane up and running and learned quite a bit along the way. The only problem(s) I had were with my DUs. I could not get my flight plan (programmed as usual into my FMC) to show on my DU. I switched it to PLN mode and nothing showed up. What did I miss ? Thanks in advance!

Can you put up some screenshots of your panels?
I wish I had taken some screen shots when I had the problem... I will next time I am in the cockpit.

Was your pfd working correctly? Horizon, speed, altitude & all that? I'm thinking possibly your IRS wasn't aligned.

Was your pfd working correctly? Horizon, speed, altitude & all that? I'm thinking possibly your IRS wasn't aligned.
I was thinking it had something to do with the IRS alignment. This was the first time I had ever messed with the IRS... I followed these instructions from a tutorial I found on the forums:Everything worked well except the last step when you hit Prev Page and put the GPS coordinates into one of the 'SET IRS POS' boxes. I did not see any boxes. I am guessing that I hosed something up here.1. IRS mode selectors - OFF. Switch both rotary selectors first to OFF then to ALIGN.- On DC will first illuminate then extinguish and a white ALIGN light will illuminate. This means that the aircrafts two inertial reference systems will warm up and align them self. This Align process will take some time, depending on your settings on the CDU options. You can find it through: Press MENU on CDU, PMDG Setup > Option > Simulation > IRS OPTION. Here you can choose between: Realistic (about 10 minutes), Fast 30 seconds or Instant. When the IRS's have finished aligning the white ALIGN lights will begin flashing and you will have a FMC message saying "Enter IRS position".- Log on to the FMC on the CDU. This will get you to the IDENT page. On the lower left corner on the screen you will have "POS INIT" press the key next to it.2. Now you are on the POS INIT page.-Press CLR on the CDU a couple of times if you have any messages like "Enter IRS Position" and "Dual FMC restored"-Enter the ICAO designators for the airport you are at and click the key next to "Ref Airport"-Press Next page one time-You will see GPS R and GPS L and their positions. Click one of them and the position will be copied to the CDU scratchpad.-Press Prev page-You should see some square boxes below "SET IRS POS", click the key next to it on the right side.- Voila, you've set the aircrafts IRS position, the aircraft now now exactly where it is and the PFD and ND display come alive

I was thinking it had something to do with the IRS alignment. This was the first time I had ever messed with the IRS... I followed these instructions from a tutorial I found on the forums:Everything worked well except the last step when you hit Prev Page and put the GPS coordinates into one of the 'SET IRS POS' boxes. I did not see any boxes. I am guessing that I hosed something up here.1. IRS mode selectors - OFF. Switch both rotary selectors first to OFF then to ALIGN.- On DC will first illuminate then extinguish and a white ALIGN light will illuminate. This means that the aircrafts two inertial reference systems will warm up and align them self. This Align process will take some time, depending on your settings on the CDU options. You can find it through: Press MENU on CDU, PMDG Setup > Option > Simulation > IRS OPTION. Here you can choose between: Realistic (about 10 minutes), Fast 30 seconds or Instant. When the IRS's have finished aligning the white ALIGN lights will begin flashing and you will have a FMC message saying "Enter IRS position".- Log on to the FMC on the CDU. This will get you to the IDENT page. On the lower left corner on the screen you will have "POS INIT" press the key next to it.2. Now you are on the POS INIT page.-Press CLR on the CDU a couple of times if you have any messages like "Enter IRS Position" and "Dual FMC restored"-Enter the ICAO designators for the airport you are at and click the key next to "Ref Airport"-Press Next page one time-You will see GPS R and GPS L and their positions. Click one of them and the position will be copied to the CDU scratchpad.-Press Prev page-You should see some square boxes below "SET IRS POS", click the key next to it on the right side.- Voila, you've set the aircrafts IRS position, the aircraft now now exactly where it is and the PFD and ND display come alive
1. IRS mode selectors - OFF. Switch both rotary selectors first to OFF then to NAV.Correct the above line, and it will work.Airport ID is not necessary in the PPOS pageif you are using other coordinates (like last position, GPS position...)

Regards

Andrea Daviero

1. IRS mode selectors - OFF. Switch both rotary selectors first to OFF then to NAV.Correct the above line, and it will work.Airport ID is not necessary in the PPOS pageif you are using other coordinates (like last position, GPS position...)
Thanks ! I will try this when I get home later today.