Sign in to follow this  
benny948

REX

I am confused with REX. After I make themes and install, how do I use them? Do I just use select a weather theme under FSX weather and it will craft the theme to my adjustments? (changing clouds, lightning, etc.) Also, how do I incorporate them into a flight plan? After I click "flight planner" I can't find my weather theme. Sorry for my unawareness, I am very new to REX.

Hey Benny,I use real world weather rather than themes, so can't really answer your question regarding using themes - however you may want to post over on the REX forums, those guys are very helpful and typically very quick to respond.There is also a pretty extensive manual under the help folder in your REX install.Good luck,

Hey Benny,I use real world weather rather than themes, so can't really answer your question regarding using themes - however you may want to post over on the REX forums, those guys are very helpful and typically very quick to respond.There is also a pretty extensive manual under the help folder in your REX install.Good luck,
Oh, I didn't know that there was a REX forum, thank you!

Benny - all REX has done is to replace your default textures with much better textures. That's it. You don't have to do anything. Any time ypou see a cloud - it will be a REX cloud. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Benny - all REX has done is to replace your default textures with much better textures. That's it. You don't have to do anything. Any time ypou see a cloud - it will be a REX cloud. :(
So it is that simple? I cant believe it! When I load a texture, will it overwrite the previous texture theme I loaded?

When you first load REX, go to OPTIONS, and tick the box of everything that you want to change. Then go to THEME CREATION, select the themes for everything that you want (water, clouds, runway textures, sunrise/sunset, sky textures, lights etc). When you are satisfied, click on INSTALL. It will take a few minutes for this to be done. However (and this is the part that isn't quite clear in the instructions).....once you are satisfied with a particular set of textures, uncheck the relevant box in the OPTIONS menu. If you are happy with it, then you do not need to install it again, because it has already been installed!If you are happy with ALL of your selections, then you can uncheck ALL the boxes in the OPTIONS menu, and you will never have to worry about installing the REX textures again. If at some future date, you decide (for example) that you want a different sunrise effect, then just tick the relevant box in the OPTIONS menu, change the sunrise theme in the THEME CREATION menu, and then click on INSTALL. Only the new sunrise textures will be installed, because everything else is already in your FSX folders.Do you see how it works now?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

And (for completeness sake :( ) once you have installed textures you like, you don't have to run REX at all anymore.I have been using the same 'theme' for years and I only open REX after a complete reinstall of my computer. The weather engine (be it the FSX one, REX or something like ASE) will use the installed textures to create beautiful stuff: it isn't necessary at all to install specific clouds for specific weather. I get great blue skies with some fluffy clouds and I get awesome dark, moody clouds with the same theme installed. (Imho all those types of clouds is a bit over the top... I don't even have the free Overdrive addon: the original REX 2.0 offers MORE then enough for me :( ).BTW If you want to use the REX weather engine, you can let it start automatically when you start FSX: no need to acutally start REX itself first. I think that for most people REX is a 'set and forget' program.And the flightplanner: I don't think anyone uses the REX planner...?

When you first load REX, go to OPTIONS, and tick the box of everything that you want to change. Then go to THEME CREATION, select the themes for everything that you want (water, clouds, runway textures, sunrise/sunset, sky textures, lights etc). When you are satisfied, click on INSTALL. It will take a few minutes for this to be done. However (and this is the part that isn't quite clear in the instructions).....once you are satisfied with a particular set of textures, uncheck the relevant box in the OPTIONS menu. If you are happy with it, then you do not need to install it again, because it has already been installed!If you are happy with ALL of your selections, then you can uncheck ALL the boxes in the OPTIONS menu, and you will never have to worry about installing the REX textures again. If at some future date, you decide (for example) that you want a different sunrise effect, then just tick the relevant box in the OPTIONS menu, change the sunrise theme in the THEME CREATION menu, and then click on INSTALL. Only the new sunrise textures will be installed, because everything else is already in your FSX folders.Do you see how it works now?
Yes. thank you.