Sign in to follow this  

apparently putting the nav frequency in the Garmin gps and the nav radio solved the problem for me, now i intercept the glideslope no problem. i only put the frequency in the nav radio the first time, strange to have to put it in the gps system as well to get a apr landing to work, well at least it works now

You dont have to put it in both. You just need to do it in GPS. if you put it also in radio (NAV2) then the OBS will show it and not the normal gauge. Two completely different instruments. See post 12 where it is illustrated.Like reading through the post there are people who indeed like to have both instruments showing ILS approach. me personally, I just use NAV1 that you set in this case on the GPS. I am really not bothered to have the second one.Just remember that this GPS here replace radioset for NAV1 and COMM1 as it integrate the radios for NAV1 and COMM1 into the GPS so you dont need a seperate radio for NAV1 and COMM1.The radio that is there is the second radio set you will find normally in a plane that is for NAV2 and COMM2.

Edited by bliksimpie

Guest BeaverDriver

You should only have to enter the freq in the Garmin. That controls what you see on the HSI. The #2 Nav (the Collins I believe?) only controls the #2 VOR Indicator (see the diagrams above). You didn't mention if you had confirmed that you had the 430 set to Nav and not GPS (it will display a VLOC at the bottom left of the screen). If that's on GPS, you won't see the ILS (or LOC or VOR) come up on the HSI, although you may have some horizontal reference going on there if you have a flight plan plugged in. I don't have the machine to check to see if the HSI has a "Source" switch. If so, make sure it's set to NAV 1 or GPS or something that references your #1 nav radio (the Garmin). In some systems you can have the HSI display info from either the #1 or #2 Nav radio (and the Garmin in VLOC mode is a Com/Nav radio), so if you have it set to #2 NAV, then it's reading from the Collins and not the Garmin. If you have a VOR station and not the ILS on the #2 Nav, then that's what the HSI will read.If all that is hard to understand, have a really good read of the manuals that come with the aircraft. That should explain the basics of how things work and how to set them up. Then refer back here for the "fine tuning". But you don't have to have both Nav/Coms tuned to the ILS to pick the ILS up on your HSI.EDIT - oops sorry, I DO have the Caravan (I was thinking of the Malibu). I'll have a closer look at it tonight, but there is no Source switch in the Caravan, so what you tune on the 430 will show on HSI and what you tune on the #2 Nav will show on the VOR Indicator. For the HSI then you need to make sure the 430 is set to VLOC and not GPS once you get close enough to pick up the ILS, otherwise the HSI will give you horizontal referencing to your flight plan and not the ILS.

Edited by BeaverDriver