Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Javiz

Air Brakes

Hi there,Anyone here tried the sail planes already ?....I'd love to ( since we have no control over our engine, apart from the throttle, sailing should feel more realistic ) but i can't seem to close those pesky airbrakes.... Both the Discus and the Swift are loaded sitting on the runway, winch cable attached, airbrakes fully out.... :huh:I couldn't find anything about a key to control the airbrakes in the manual but just coincidently i found that the 'W' key will lower them but if you let go of the key they'll nicely return to fully extended...Hitting the 'R' key i am launced alright but with those airbrakes extended all the time the flight always ends up in between the spars AG houses after a minute or so.Btw, if you want to know my 2cents about Aerofly FS : i think it's a nice sim to have next to FSX. The scenery is quite amazing ( as is the performance ), it's a true 'blast' to fly the F-18 thru all the gorgeous looking valley's and over the beautiful Alps but if Aerofly FS wants to be a serious FSX competitor LOTS of work will await the devs before that'll happen. I really don't mind being confined to just one country for the time being, it sure is one of the most spectacular countries to fly in, but having no control over my engine, which performs very oddly in the first place, let alone the engine gauges... no clickable VC, no AI aircraft or other traffic, no ATC, no Replay mode, only a few detailed airports ( which do look very nice ), only one season, no rain ( fog is nice ), only day flying, mediocre looking VC's ( apart from the Pitts VC which is very good indeed ) and mediocre sound suites, it is hard to think of it as a true flight simulator let alone being anything like a serious competitor to FSX.Still, it's good fun and if anyone here can enlighten me about those sticky airbrakes on the sailplanes i'm almost sure i haven't had the best fun yet.Thanks much on forehand ! :( Oh, and thanks a lot for this specific Aerofly FS forum, Tom ! Great surprise ! Avsim does it again ! :( cheers,jan

Well, i guess not much Aerofly glider pilots overhere just yet..So i'd best reply to my question myself then, just in case anyone else wants to take a glider up and finds airbrakes stuck in the extended position ( my Aerofly forum account just got activated so i could pop my question there amd got an answer right away ).The glider airbrakes are operated with the throttle... Not feeling too embarrassed to not have thought of that... :Thinking:Not such a bad idea afterall but it would've been great to take that along in the manual...Cheers,Jan

Lol - just did a winch launch with a glider for a quick circuit but thought the glide-ratio was shocking, until I checked the wing and saw the brakes were up! Once you know, especially for landing, it's a sensible and intuitive lift control mechanism. It's just not so intuitive to 'open the throttle' for take-off in a glider...I like seeing (with those virtual wind indicator arrows) how the terrain introduces lift and sink... And like the fact that thermals rise off sunny dark surfaces and then drift with the wind... neat...