Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

A question about Autoflight failures

Today I did some testing with different weather settings in AS 2012 and FSUIPC which resulted in extreme unrealistic windshifting which in turn resulted in overspeed. Desperately trying to fix the situation without having an overspeed crash (this was an online flight on top of all...) I pulled back as hard as I could on the yoke forcing a climb. This disconnected the autopilot (was flying in VNAV and LNAV and CMD A active) but then when I tried to re-engage CMD A that wouldn't work and I then tried CMD B instead which to my relief worked fine. Then all of a sudden I had another unrealistic windshift and was in the same situation again where I had to pull back on the yoke as hard as I could to avoid an overspeed crash and then the same thing happened where I now couldn't re-engage CMD B.So...at this point I couldn't engage CMD A nor CMD B and I just couldn't understand why. Then I thought I should check the NGX failures options (I have configured to not have any failures) and found I had AUTOFLIGHT in red. Since I was pretty stressed at this point I never bothered to go deeper into the menus so I don't know exactly what the failure was but I just chose to clear all failures and after this I was finally able to re-engage CMD A normally again and go back to VNAV and LNAV and normal cruise.What I wonder now is1. Should I get failures by doing these maneuvers when I have chosen to not activate any failures under the Aircraft-Failures menu, not programmed, random nor service based failures?2. Would the real a/c behave like this if you pull back on the yoke manually while flying with CMD A active where you after this won't be able to re-engage it? I thought using manual force on the flight controls would simply disconnect the autopilot...not brake it so you won't be able to re-engage it afterwards...!?

Edited by WebMaximus

Richard Åsberg

From the introduction manual:"While any autopilot is engaged in CMD mode, yanking at the controls really hard will result in "breaking" the controller shear rivets (real value 110lbs of force) and destroy the onside FCC (flight control center). The associated autopilot cannot be reengaged."So I guess the behavior is realistic.

Edited by Chri

As far as I know, manually manipulating the controls will disconnect the A/P, but as mentioned above, forcibly doing so can cause damage. My guess is that in your pitch up maneuver, you damaged the controller shear rivets, as mentioned.In order to fix your wind shift problem, operate in DWC mode (if that exists for ASE2012), or register FSUIPC and force it to smooth the wind there.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks guys, amazing how you always learns new stuff and the NGX keeps impressing! Now I know should I find myself in a similar situation again I'll first disconnect the autopilot before raising the nose to slow down.Reason I ended up in this situation tonight was I tried using standard depiction mode in AS 2012 instead of DWC but now I know that isn't a good idea...:(

Richard Åsberg