Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xtrshadowzy

Newbie's Mesh

Hi, Im new here ^^I have a few questions so i can create a new mesh for FSX :)As im new i know nothin and cant understand so far what the other posts said; so i want to start wit the basic things,The mesh i want is for the islands of Malta, (Mediteranean under Scicily).A .So far i got a GeoTiff of Malta 90m1. What programs do i need to do a mesh addon that overwrites the default of fsx but not replace hem?2. in what do import the GeoTiff for fsx to recognize?3. if its hard, can someone do it for me xD?Shadowzy :)

Creating scenery from a GeoTIFF is very easy.You need:1. the GeoTIFF. Please note that it must necessarily be in the Geographic projection using the WGS84 datum (or its equivalents.) If your source is UTM or another projection, then it will not align with the islands in FS X.2. a simple control file, an "inf" file, which is essentially a text file with an "inf" extension, that tells the Microsoft Resample program the name and location of the source, what it should become (a mesh file) and what name the bgl should have when it is created.For example, this could be the inf file for your project:

[source]    Type = GeoTIFF    Layer  = Elevation    SourceDir  = "."    SourceFile = "the name of your GeoTIFF file"  [Destination]    DestFileType  = BGL    DestDir  = "."    DestBaseFileName  = "the name that you want the bgl to have"    LOD = Auto

Open Notepad and paste this text. Just replace the file names with what you prefer. Save it with any name you want, but with an inf extension, for example, Malta altitude mesh.inf3. Place the source file (the GeoTIFF) and the inf file in the same folder as Resample.exe, which is in the SDK directory.4. Drag the inf file on top of Resample.5. Resample will create the bgl and you can place it in any active scenery folder.If you have questions or problems, please don't hesitate to ask.Best regards.Luis

Creating scenery from a GeoTIFF is very easy.You need:1. the GeoTIFF. Please note that it must necessarily be in the Geographic projection using the WGS84 datum (or its equivalents.) If your source is UTM or another projection, then it will not align with the islands in FS X.2. a simple control file, an "inf" file, which is essentially a text file with an "inf" extension, that tells the Microsoft Resample program the name and location of the source, what it should become (a mesh file) and what name the bgl should have when it is created.For example, this could be the inf file for your project:
[source]	Type = GeoTIFF	Layer  = Elevation	SourceDir  = "."	SourceFile = "the name of your GeoTIFF file"  [Destination]	DestFileType  = BGL	DestDir  = "."	DestBaseFileName  = "the name that you want the bgl to have"	LOD = Auto

Open Notepad and paste this text. Just replace the file names with what you prefer. Save it with any name you want, but with an inf extension, for example, Malta altitude mesh.inf3. Place the source file (the GeoTIFF) and the inf file in the same folder as Resample.exe, which is in the SDK directory.4. Drag the inf file on top of Resample.5. Resample will create the bgl and you can place it in any active scenery folder.If you have questions or problems, please don't hesitate to ask.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Luis!I will try this right after work :)RegardsShadowzy

Good Lord!It's so simple for FSX. I thought I'd just add a line or two to this thread as I've been wondering how to do the same (for Malta, Gozo and Comino!) in FS9.I'll start another thread, while wishing I had FSX instead, once I've worked out what I need to ask...D