Sign in to follow this  
Madair01

FSX not recognising Nvidia card

Just bought a new laptop and realised it would probably run FSX which I already run on a performance desk top. Only problem seems to be that within FSX it only seems to recognise the onboard grapics and ignores the card. Device manager shows both and that driver for Nvidia is ok.Any ideas anyone?Martin Madden

Go into the BIOS on boot-up and disable the on-board video card... The OS will then recognise and use the addon.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just bought a new laptop and realised it would probably run FSX which I already run on a performance desk top. Only problem seems to be that within FSX it only seems to recognise the onboard grapics and ignores the card. Device manager shows both and that driver for Nvidia is ok.Any ideas anyone?Martin Madden
Martin,My guess is that your computer does not have a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card. You have a laptop with that has a graphics card with NVIDIA Optimus Technology. It is a hybrid graphics card. It is like having two cards in one and the purpose is to conserve battery power. The Intel GPU uses less power than the NVIDIA GPU. The Optimus Technology automatically switches between GPUs and of course you can force applications to use the NVIDIA GPU via the NVIDIA control panel. You can rest assured that FSX is using the NVIDIA GPU when running FSX else your performance would be abismal. FYI....there is nothing you can disable in your bios it is the way the technology works.You can read up on NVIDIA Optimus Technology here: http://www.nvidia.co...technology.htmlRegards,Bob Edited by sargeski

You're just too darned smart, young Bob! blum.gif

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul,Evidently you have me confused with someone else! :(

Edited by sargeski

Thanks GuysI am consulting Dell but I have found in the booklet reference to the nVidia card which is a GeForce GT525M shown as " discrete" suggesting that it is hiding behind the Intel HD Graphics which is what is appearing in FSX settings. This would in some way appear to be of the nature of what Bob has said.Martin

Just to complete the info I have spoken to Dell and they have confirmed that Optimus Technology is in operation. Basically the nVidia card only kicks in on demand. The Intel Graphics 3000 on board has 1.6 GB which with the nVidia 1GB gives quite a performance. Given that the laptop was bought for routine plus a bit of video I am very impressed. in case anybody is interested the model is Inspiron 17R.Martin