Sign in to follow this  
fulcrum_64th

newbie question: ILS loc/gs

hi All,Once you captured LOC and GS from the ILS with the APP mode, what's the most elegant way to go back to heading / alt hold mode ? For some reason I didn't manage to quit the mode after LOC/GS. (in my case I captured the GS to early).BestKarim

Edited by fulcrum_64th

don't really understand your question, but in the real world you aren't supposed to descend down the GS if you're above it and haven't captured the localizer yet.if you're on the loc and gs and want to go missed approach, just push the TO/GA button and transition to alt/heading hold

don't really understand your question, but in the real world you aren't supposed to descend down the GS if you're above it and haven't captured the localizer yet.if you're on the loc and gs and want to go missed approach, just push the TO/GA button and transition to alt/heading hold
sorry I wasn't clear: the situation was as followed: I was flying on vatsim being vectored to the ILS loc. As I was decending and not yet on the loc, I intercepted the ILS GS. As I had already activated the app mode, the GS captured (weird as i tought first the loc and then the GS). I was then unable to reset the autopilot. I disconected the autopilot and reconnected it but couldn't switch back to the mode that permits me to fly headings and VS on the MCP.Also though to hit toga but I didn't want to go to full missed app mode.I must be doing something really wrong :)BestKarim Edited by fulcrum_64th

sorry I wasn't clear: the situation was as followed: I was flying on vatsim being vectored to the ILS loc. As I was decending and not yet on the loc, I intercepted the ILS GS. As I had already activated the app mode, the GS captured (weird as i tought first the loc and then the GS). I was then unable to reset the autopilot. I disconected the autopilot and reconnected it but couldn't switch back to the mode that permits me to fly headings and VS on the MCP.Also though to hit toga but I didn't want to go to full missed app mode.I must be doing something really wrong :)BestKarim
If i remember right think you need to turn off both flight directors to get out of the app mode

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

As mentioned in the tutorial by Ryan, the only way to get out of APP mode is either to press TOGA or turn off (and back on if you want) the FDs.