Sign in to follow this  
7swed774

AMD phenom x4 over clock, RAM questions

Somehow we need to convince you that it's not your RAM that is the problem.

the problem is that i am getting TWO different answer the first answer is to get a MHz ram the second answer is that i should just stick with my MHz ram. i don't now what to do because i am getting two diffrent answers. I am willing to do anything that can make my OC stable at 4.2 or 4.1GHz. (may be not everything)I have read through this forum and the answer is that i need a 1333MHz ramI am not using the stock heat sink i am using http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2729&product_name=GeminII%20S

# 4, 8, and 12 all say no new RAM.Not a single post here says get new RAM.Not sure where your confusion lies.

# 4, 8, and 12 all say no new RAM.Not a single post here says get new RAM.Not sure where your confusion lies.
you have a point but i am very on what i should do. i appreciate alot of the suggestion keep them coming. If somebody has an Idea on what i should do please don't hesitate throw the suggestions at me. What I did to OC my AMD phenom ii x4 980 is that i put the CPU ratio at 20 and changed the DRAM to 1333mhz, that's it, nothing else. Edited by 7swed774

Leaving Vcore, Vcpu-nb, Vdimm to Auto is calling for trouble. Might work at moderate overclocks but shooting for 4.2GHz you should set those manually.1.5V max Vcore1.4V max Vcpu-nbVdimm / Vdram manually set at your RAM rated volts.Also set your RAM timings manually. If you downclock it to 1333 and leave timings to auto, your board could be tightening those timings and making things unstable.Have you checked your full load (running Prime95) Vcore with CPU-Z?My advise would be to try 3.6GHz and work your way up from there. Google some good Phenom II OC'ing guides and learn about Load Line Calibration, Vdroop, Vdrop, etc...

Leaving Vcore, Vcpu-nb, Vdimm to Auto is calling for trouble. Might work at moderate overclocks but shooting for 4.2GHz you should set those manually.1.5V max Vcore1.4V max Vcpu-nbVdimm / Vdram manually set at your RAM rated volts.Also set your RAM timings manually. If you downclock it to 1333 and leave timings to auto, your board could be tightening those timings and making things unstable.Have you checked your full load (running Prime95) Vcore with CPU-Z?My advise would be to try 3.6GHz and work your way up from there. Google some good Phenom II OC'ing guides and learn about Load Line Calibration, Vdroop, Vdrop, etc...
when am running prime 95 i have the program core temp running, it shows me the temp and the VCORE. I OC the CPU at 4.01 GHz and i left prime 95 running over night and all the cores was running at 100% capacity. i had the DRAm at 1333 MHz. i tried OC the CPU at 4.1GHz and the core would become unstable and i had the DRAm at 1333. it seems like the highest i can go is 4.01 GHz that is pretty pathetic i think. if anybody has a good guide on how to over clock a AMD phenom II X4 980, i would gladly appreciate it. I will also Google some guides also.

Once again, you can't set your clocks to 4.2GHz, leave your board to it's own devices and expect it to be stable. You need to set your Vcore, Vcpu-nb, Vdimm, Load Line Calibration, RAM speed and timings manually so that you know everything runs within specs.By the way, 4GHz is not bad at all for a Phenom II but don't rush it. Until you're comfortable with the OC process don't push it beyond 3.5 - 3.6GHzCore Temp does not display Vcore, that's the VID. You need CPU-Z for example to monitor Vcore. Reset your BIOS to defaults, find a good guide, do some reading and start from scratch manhttp://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Once again, you can't set your clocks to 4.2GHz, leave your board to it's own devices and expect it to be stable. You need to set your Vcore, Vcpu-nb, Vdimm, Load Line Calibration, RAM speed and timings manually so that you know everything runs within specs.By the way, 4GHz is not bad at all for a Phenom II but don't rush it. Until you're comfortable with the OC process don't push it beyond 3.5 - 3.6GHzCore Temp does not display Vcore, that's the VID. You need CPU-Z for example to monitor Vcore. Reset your BIOS to defaults, find a good guide, do some reading and start from scratch manhttp://www.overclock...ad.php?t=596023
I am taking my time, i got the CPu OC at 4.00GHz using prime 95 and core temp to see what the CPU capacity was. later i did a test at 3.9GHz and the dram was at 1333 and i used prime-95 and cpu-z and the volts was around 1.380. I went on Google and i could not ind a good guide and the guide that you gave me was little bit confusing. If some could break down the guide it would nice. The recommendations that you gave me Dazz is that i should put the DRAM at the 1600 and not put it at auto or 1333 and i should put the max Vcore at 1.5V max Vcpu-nb at 1.4V. If that is correct. I will not Overclock my cpu at 4.2 or something higher unless if i get a definite guide or answer.

I couldn't find a good guide but seems like i should change my Voltages in my bios. I have a Corsair 650W. The Core Voltage at 3.7GHZ is at 1.368 from CPU-Z. If anybody know a good guide for core voltages when you overclock a Processor and if the guide is easy to read because some of the guides can be confusing.

Ok so i got my AMD phenom II x4 980 to over clock at 4.1 with ram at 1600 OC. The Cpu voltage is at 1.52 and DramVoltages is at 1.55. i couldn't get it to 4.2 because then the cpu would get warm, over 63c.

I just upgraded my CPU to a 960T BE on the same motherboard and OC'ed it straight to 4.0 Ghz using the multi 20x @1.44v with NB @2600, and FSX liked the OC :) even at 3.0 ghz FSX works well. NOTE everything is on MAX IN FSX :) except water and that one thing below autogen. I can just imagine how the SB would perform nice and smooth so maybe the next upgrade will be to IB or the Piledriver.

DO NOT GO ABOVE 1.55 else you will need good cooling, WHat cooling do you have ? What mobo are you using and the PSU ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus