Sign in to follow this  
JonP01

question for Flight supporters - what you do think of the DLC prices?

some unpopular but strategic choices
Unpopular among the small hardcore simmers I assume. Edited by sibtiger

Enjoy flying in Hawaii for the next few months with your no-cockpit P51!!
I looked at it in the "Hanger," once. The RV-6 and the Maule are enough for me at the moment. Like Arwen, I think the cockpitless idea is stupid, but then it may just catch on with the purely "console gamer" crowd. I doubt it will, but just like the announced prices for the DLC, it is subject to market forces......If the DLC isn't selling well, MS will adjust the prices downwards until the find the "sweet spot" that will generate their revenu goals. Likewise, if the cockpitless versions don't sell well, they'll be discontinued. Keep in mind that they will be offering two versions of aircraft, one without a cockpit and a "Deluxe" version that's complete.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest russellbdavis
Are you kidding?And young gamers have a lot of money to spend. Games are expensive - some more than FSX was.
No I'm not kidding. I'm talking about creating a new aircraft in FLIGHT (not FSX) compared to a song in ROCK BAND. And yes, I am a software developer (ATCsimulator2) and I also have the tools to create content in ROCK BAND. I know exactly the effort involved in ROCK BAND; I've been creating content for ROCK BAND and it is no easy task. I have dozens of PS3 games and none of them are any more expensive than FSX. I've spent more on FSX and my addons than I've ever spent on any console game I own, except for ROCK BAND.I'd say young gamers spend more on their hardware than the games themselves. But then again, this is just my opinion.
Drumming in ROCK BAND is hellishly difficult ...kudos to you
Thanks! I appreciate that. Since I broke my back in 2003, I cannot do any exercise involving lifting any kind of weight (more than 30 lbs). So, its a great way to do some exercise without standing.

Ah, you meant planes alike the cockpitless P-51. Hope this isn't the standard aircraft type in Flight. Ask RealAir guys how much time takes to develop a good airplane - and they do GA ones, not big airliners.Gears of War 3 costs from $60 to $150. And it looks it sells a lot. Sure, there are adults buying it also, but it doesn't look young gamers don't have money to spend.

Just "made" a middle quality Hawaii FSX package and got a price tag of about 100€ so flight package seems reasonable. Since what I expected from flight is time to time flights, packages in the 20€ price tag are ok .

Guest russellbdavis
Ah, you meant planes alike the cockpitless P-51. Hope this isn't the standard aircraft type in Flight. Ask RealAir guys how much time takes to develop a good airplane - and they do GA ones, not big airliners.Gears of War 3 costs from $60 to $150. And it looks it sells a lot. Sure, there are adults buying it also, but it doesn't look young gamers don't have money to spend.
Thats what I was referring, the cockpitless aircraft. I know the developers for FSX go to great lengths with their creations, My impression is FLIGHT is not quite at that level. And I'd agree $60 is probably about average for most FPS games. But, they don't then continue to purchase DLC for them. That's where mom and dad would have to come in and foot the bill for the young gamer.So, its all speculation at this point.

I know the developers for FSX go to great lengths with their creations, My impression is FLIGHT is not quite at that level
Yes, flight is not up to the best of third party level (never expected it to be), however for me it is (i) hitting an absolutely perfect sweet spot with respect to complexity / system performance / cost and (ii) ought to be visually consistent. One thing that I could never really get used to in the older versions was that each of the developers had their own way of doing things and a particular "style". I'd go from scenery with a particular developer's "signature" to scenery with another developer's "signature". Personally I like everything to be as consistent as possible. I have been mightily impressed with the Microsoft scenery I have seen thus far in Flight because it is falling perfectly within my own definitions of a sweet spot. And this will be the first time in 14 years of flight simming that I will not have to build a brand new computer for no other reason than to use the latest Microsoft flying game.It's quite obvious nothing in Flight is or ever will be up to the best third party standards, but that is fine by me because I am always extremely impressed with Microsoft's efforts to begin with. And this is really the first time that they are doing multiple, select scenery areas in high detail that are outside of the major cities.Add to that the new flight model and weather modelling that has really blown me away (almost literally), and I am incredibly enthusiastic and ready to buy all the scenery they produce (probably not so many aircraft though - I have already fallen in love with the unpretentious Icon, and apart from that, I am more interested in historics). Edited by JonP01

Detail airports / terrain / scenery / missions by region (much the same as ORBX regions) -$20 to $50. That would be say, $20 for NE US seaboard airports / terrain / scenery, maybe $40 to include missions
And I am hoping Microsoft will consider the Pacific Northwest. I know it has almost been done to death in the history of MS Flight Simulator and of course ORBX have done a lot of scenery in that region (and it was Richard Goldstein's scenery that first blew me away in FS9). But the ORBX scenery is arguably expensive - in both monetary and computational terms. If, on the other hand, Microsoft could hit that sweet spot I mentioned in my previous post as regards PNW, I would be overjoyed.

Hawaii island pack sounds great value, a day one purchase for me.I'm sure I've spent over $100 on Hawaii scenery for FSX, and suspect that this will look better in many ways. And, I never did manage to find payware for the Big Island...

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Guest russellbdavis

I will say, FLIGHT is visually stunning. (I don't think saying that violates the NDA, and I'm sure Microsoft would appreciate a positive comment).

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.