Sign in to follow this  
marcom

Single engine takeoff

I know I'm pushing it this time :)Here's what I did:only started the left engine (right one was off, 0% N1/N2) and took off! (Yes this is possible but requires a little skill)Once settled down at around 1000 ft AGL and at 230 kts, I noticed my right engine was still showing 0% N1/N2 and thus wasn't windmilling. At that speed, the engine should be spinning pretty fast.I then tried to start the right engine using X-Bleed, but nothing happened. Although the starter valve was open, N1/N2 didn't increase.Now I know no sane person would try this in real life, and probably no one tried this with the NGX before, this IS actually done in the real sim if there is some time left just to show the effects of VCMG (the runway at EDDF is long enough for a 737 to do this)Oh and please fix the Yaw Damper issue - having it turned on results in some violent swings when applying rudder in S/E ops.ThanksMark

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

I think you have to put the Starter switch to FLT to make it spin, or do a windmilling start. But I don't know for sure.

If there is no damage to the engine both N1 and N2 will windmill at speed, and normally with wind on ground, the N1 normally turn in the wind direction.It is important to know if you have the N1 turning in the right direction as it will be important for engine start.We often leave the reversers open when there is a lot of wind, this will limit the wind forces.I took of with engine failed in the NGX but I programmed a failure after V1 (noone will take off with an engine failed before V1) and in my case the rorors were at 0%. I was thinking that it was due to the failure, but maybe there is more...

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Yes, confirmed, no windmilling if engine was not already spooled. Very small issue, but, if you want to see it spooling with speed, you need to put (while on ground) the starter switch to GND, so the fan will start to rotate, then, it is sufficient to give speed and it will continue to turn also if the starter is set back to off.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

I know I'm pushing it this time :)Here's what I did:only started the left engine (right one was off, 0% N1/N2) and took off! (Yes this is possible but requires a little skill)Once settled down at around 1000 ft AGL and at 230 kts, I noticed my right engine was still showing 0% N1/N2 and thus wasn't windmilling. At that speed, the engine should be spinning pretty fast.I then tried to start the right engine using X-Bleed, but nothing happened. Although the starter valve was open, N1/N2 didn't increase.Now I know no sane person would try this in real life, and probably no one tried this with the NGX before, this IS actually done in the real sim if there is some time left just to show the effects of VCMG (the runway at EDDF is long enough for a 737 to do this)Oh and please fix the Yaw Damper issue - having it turned on results in some violent swings when applying rudder in S/E ops.ThanksMark
weird, i have actually tried it, and could start the right engine, in my case it was the left engine, interesting.

In my case I started the right engine, and not touched the left (from C&D), in the air, no way to start the engine, neither fan or core rotation, on ground, with the starter switch to GND the fan and core spooled up, I turned the starter off, take off again and the fan was rotating with the aircraft speed (and the core ofcourse)

Regards

Andrea Daviero