Sign in to follow this  
MatzeH84

Cruise winds not consistent with external weather maps

Hi there!I've got a question regarding winds aloft: During preflight I look at the weather maps to determine the average wind component. I don't like to use ASE to do this, as you would have to enter the whole flightplan, but this would have to be a FSX plan, which I would have to generate first as I only use PMDG plans. I can take the IVAO weather maps as well as the USAF charts for europe, usually they tell me the same story. For the situation right now they predict around 50kts from 270° where I am, but ASE gives me 47° with 16kts. So fuel planning is a bit like gambling..Is there a way to improve this situation except for entering the whole flightplan into ASE?RegardsMatthias Hanel

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Hi Matthias,It would be as well to check out the respective timelines on all of the weather charts in order to ensure that they are covering the weather/winds forecast within a short given period of time.Weather stations report at varying intervals.Another check to make is to see which weather station is being reported.This can vary.In AS2012,if you want the upper winds all you have to do is input the four digit code for the airport and the winds are reported up to FL49/49000ft.In order to cover the full route of flight you may need to do this several times.You can export flight plans into AS 2012 and by doing so this gives the upper winds for all of the en-route points .Are you just putting the route into PMDG,FMC manually or are the routes created by other means?I use FSBuild and also vroute for my flight plans and have used them with AS2012.In the real world according to a friend who is a pilot,fuel planning is a gamble at times.You plan for delays ,none occur.You can be diverted without notice etc.