Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

Something going badly wrong graphics wise!

When running FS9 in windowed mode I get a very strange graphics problem. The menu bar at the top of the screen flickers a lot, then after a while (normally about when I reach cruise part of the flight) the menu starts repeating itself all the way down the screen! TO explain what I mean all of a sudden a row below the menu appears that is identical to the menu bar. Then another below that, then another and so on until after a few seconds the whole screen is full of text!At this point I have to exit FS9.This doesn't happen in full-screen mode but I don't like using full-screen because it makes the sim "hang" too much when changing menus and views and makes anything connected by FSUIPC stop working.I really how no idea how to solve this and between the two problems it is making it virtually impossible to use FS at all.Andy S

Video card drivers are up to date and the problem has happened with the previous few versions of the drivers as well.My graphics card is an Asus GTX460 and my computer is a Dual Core 3.5GHz, 4GB RAM running W7 64-bit.The problem hasn't happened right from the start of having this computer. It started sometime before Christmas but I really can't remember exactly when.Andy S

Edited by Virgin_A340

On my next flight after posing the above it happened again on descent. The menu bar had been flickering intermitnatly during the whole flight but on switching views on descent the whole screen filled completely with the word "module". The word was repeated all over the screen! It is the same size and text as the word "module" in the top FS9 menu bar. What the hell is causing this!!!!Andy S

The problem only seems to exist in FS though. You might be right about it being on it's way out but surely it would show up in other things? Do you know of any tools or utilities to test nvidia cards for problems? My card is a GTX460. Andy S

Just noticed that the menu flickering is mainly when switching views while FS renders the new view. I have also been noticing that FS is taking a bit longer than normal to render textures in general and it has a tenancy to hang/pause for a split second quite often. Andy S

Hi Andy,As Jim said, and to add to that. The GTX 460 should run FS9 great in windowed or full screen mode, unless . . . . . you have any of the following issues or problems.Bad or improperly installed card. - check to make sure the card is clean and properly seated.Bad drivers. - uninstall and reinstall your drivers.Heat. Big card in a small space and no room to get cooling - open up the case and see if that helpsInsufficient power. Power supply not up to demand of the GTX 460 + other hardware demands.Regards,Mel

Mel I have tried some of your suggestions.There is some dust in my computer but not more than normal. It's been worse in the past with no problems.Drivers - I have had this problem with at least the 3 latest nvidia drivers so I'm assuming it's unlikely to be that that's causing the problem.My PSU is this one http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=gx+550w+psu&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&ix=seb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=959584061799219397&sa=X&ei=MWBeT-XCNOrV0QWpgtWODA&ved=0CHkQ8wIwAAHeat - I am not sure how hot it gets but to touch they graphics card it doesn't feel too hot or anything and it's ASUS health checker utility doesn't seem to say it's too hot. Andy

Hi Andy,I am not familiar with the ASUS health checker utility or how comprehensive it is. Here is a link to another free utility that may be helpful.http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2101/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.5.9.htmlRegards,Mel

Hi Andy,I am not familiar with the ASUS health checker utility or how comprehensive it is. Here is a link to another free utility that may be helpful.http://www.techpower...U-Z_v0.5.9.htmlRegards,Mel
Oooops! I just realized I repeated Jim's (Firehawk44) recommendation. My apologies to everyone.Mel