Sign in to follow this  
johnboy007007

crossover connecting

Hi, can anyone tell me how Im able to connect 2 laptops to my main desktop pc running fsx. I have already successfully connected 1laptop to fsx on desktop with crossover which enables me to use plan-g on laptop, whilst flying on desktop, but I would like to now attach another laptop , but their is only 1 female connector to attach a crossover cable. Is there another way to do this?.

I don't know how much you know about networking, but in this case, you need a router.

Network Hub. i use my DSL Modem's hub capabilities for two computers and a printer. Ex.http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817111131
What does the USB Hub have to do with a network hub (switch, router)?You can get away with the switch if you properly configure everything, but you gotta have some networking knowledge... which the op doesn't seem to have.

What does the USB Hub have to do with a network hub (switch, router)?You can get away with the switch if you properly configure everything, but you gotta have some networking knowledge... which the op doesn't seem to have.
OOPS didnt relize that was a USB HUB. This is the one I use to use. Sell it cheap! Networking is very easy and all the info in the world can be found by Googling.http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833122128http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Windows-7-Understanding-Network-Administration-Configuration.html Edited by Barnstormer1

OOPS didnt relize that was a USB HUB. This is the one I use to use. Sell it cheap! Networking is very easy and all the info in the world can be found by Googling.http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833122128http://www.windowsne...figuration.html
Okay, but without the switch you have to set custom IP adresses, and settings. Router being like 10€ more and doing the job for you...We still don't know what he's using as an internet connection.

Okay, but without the switch you have to set custom IP adresses, and settings. Router being like 10€ more and doing the job for you...We still don't know what he's using as an internet connection.
Whatever! Your correct. I just plug them into the switch, set up the network and it works. No router needed! Routers have more features than at least I require. No debate. Your the hardware expert. Edited by Barnstormer1

hi guys thanks for info, been away, yes am using a router but when using crossover cable obviously im dis-connecting ethernet cable, to connect crossover cable, therefore no internet, but not needing this at my level of using fsx. I only have 1 connector at back of desktop for cable, do some pc`s have 2 or more ?. I do know a little about networking and am always up for learning more, as I have been learning and implementing setting up a network drive between my desktop and laptop, so I could use plan-g whilst flying on desktop, which works fine.Am still not sure about this problem I want to solve, is it possible for me to fly with 2 laptops coupled to main PC ?, and how would this be done.looked up netgear hub that you mentioned, thanks for that brainstormer, does that work just like a mains adaptor turning 1 plug into many, and that does the same turning my one female ethernet cable connector inot 2 or 3 to enable me to use ethernet and 2 crossover cables all at the same time ?.Word Not Allowed you mentioned switches, am not familiar with switches, can you explain how that would work with me using a hub.Thanks again..Jk...

Edited by johnboy007007

Hi, can anyone tell me how Im able to connect 2 laptops to my main desktop pc running fsx. I have already successfully connected 1laptop to fsx on desktop with crossover which enables me to use plan-g on laptop, whilst flying on desktop, but I would like to now attach another laptop , but their is only 1 female connector to attach a crossover cable. Is there another way to do this?.
Take a network cable from each computer/laptop and attach it to the router. Leave the Internet cable plugged into the router. Now, if you set things up correctly, all 3 computers will have Internet and you can install programs on the laptops to use with FSX.

Well, if you have a router, what else do you need??? Just connect both computers to it and enjoy!

Simply purchase a router / switch combo such as this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cisco+Linksys+-+Dual-Band+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Ethernet+Switch/2210106.p?id=1218314734913&skuId=2210106&st=router&cp=1&lp=3And just so you are clear, the words: router and switch are not interchangeable and a switch is not a hub. 1 - A router "routes" traffic between dissimilar networks, for instance between your home network and the Internet. Routers connect to Wide Area Networks2. - A switch routes traffic on a similar network only (assuming only a Layer 2 switch) so that your computers on your home network can speak to each other. However without a router, all computers plugged into the switch could not route traffic to another network, such as the Internet and that's why its called a LAN or Local Area Network. A Hub does the same thing as a switch with one big difference. 3 - Each port on a switch is its own collission domain whereas the hub is a collission domain which includes all ports. The difference here is that all computers plugged into a switch can speak at once, and only one computer at a time can speak on a HUB. Also, a switch that says that it is 100Mbps allows each port a full100Mbps so each host plugged into the switch enjoys that bandwidth all to itself. A hub shares bandwidth so a 100 Mbps hub with 4 ports is only 25Mbps each if all 4 ports are populated. Hubs are older technology and should not be a part of your home network.So, when you buy a device like the one I show above (ahem...Cisco!) you are buying both a router and a switch in one. Even though it is usually referred to as simply a "router" it is actually a router, a switch and a Wireless Access Point in one. For your home network to work you want to IP address all of the computers on your home network on the same subnet. So if you have 4 computers you could manually give them ip address 192.168.1.10 thru 13 respectively with the common subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Must routers / switch combos come with a DHCP server so as long as your PCs are set to get an IP address automatically you don't have to worry about this. The router portion is going to connect your private newtwork to the Internet. It "routes" packets from your home to the Internet.Hope this helps....

You could look at a hub like your teacher in class giving a lecture. When he talks he talks ( sends his packets ) to the whole class everyone that wants to listen can, and obviously if multiple people try talking at the same time it can become a mess.

A switch on the other hand would be like the teacher handing each kids homework back to them ( sends the packets only to the person who should get them ) and speaking with them individually.

A router is like the post office. They receive the post ( or packet ) and look up the next place it should go, if it is in your local post office and the destination is in your local town they will deliver it, if not they send it on to the next sorting facility.