Sign in to follow this  
sagitta424

ENBO: VORLOC and G/S won't activate

Hi Captains,Today I made the ILS 25 approach on ENBO (STAR: STM1M Transition: FSK).The localizer has a slight offset to the left of the runway due to some hills in front of the runway. The ILS course was 264 degrees and I imagine that this is the value including the offset. But although both localizer and glide slope were indicated on the PFD, I couldn't establish on the localizer nor catch the glide slope. They were both annunciated as next mode (so in white), but that's were it stopped.On the ILS chart the course was 268, but I thought that the FSX info was just outdated and therefor I should use 264.Is there a reason why the AP won't engage in this situation? Is it because the course deviation between centerline and localizer? Was I wrong and should it have been 268 after all?Best regards,

Herman Nienhuis

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Try another airport as a systems and procedures check.Provide screenshot of your panel when you have a problem would help.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

On the ILS chart the course was 268, but I thought that the FSX info was just outdated and therefor I should use 264.Is there a reason why the AP won't engage in this situation? Is it because the course deviation between centerline and localizer? Was I wrong and should it have been 268 after all?
I dont think that would effect the APP mode, just autoland. But when in doubt, I always use the course that appears in the FMC when setting the approach speed.

Noah Bryant

Try another airport as a systems and procedures check.Provide screenshot of your panel when you have a problem would help.
This was my first approach on an airport with a localizer offset. On "normal" airports I never saw this happening. I guess it won't be easy to find another runway like that. This airport was chosen for a training flight by someone in our local MS FS club.
I dont think that would effect the APP mode, just autoland. But when in doubt, I always use the course that appears in the FMC when setting the approach speed.
Maybe the best thing to do is give it another try. I could also make some screenshots then. This time it took me by surprise.

Herman Nienhuis

"This was my first approach on an airport with a localizer offset."Ok, the aircraft does not care if the ILS beam is offset .. that just means you will be doing a manual turn later.The ILS/LOC intercept is still by the numbers FREQ/HDG/ALT on your approach plate.

Best Regards,

"This was my first approach on an airport with a localizer offset."Ok, the aircraft does not care if the ILS beam is offset .. that just means you will be doing a manual turn later.The ILS/LOC intercept is still by the numbers FREQ/HDG/ALT on your approach plate.
Well, that is exactly what I would have expected, but I don't know all ins and outs about Navigraph's AIRAC data. I could imagine that there is information about both the centerline orientation and that of the localizer beam. But just guessing, I have no clue.So, I could imagine that the AP won't do the job based on that discrepancy, leaving the PF with indications on the PFD but still making this approach something you have to hand fly anyhow.I will try this again tomorrow, but download the Navigraph charts in stead of using the charts provided by my FS club.Best regards,

Herman Nienhuis

Herman,Hope this is what you flew.It includes a procedure turn to get you onto the LOC.What did you do for this approach?Did you do a hold first?I checked the FSX and Navigraph .. both have the same LLZ freq 109.1.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

I flew STAR: STM1M and Transition: FSK. So inbound from BALAK, with R-092 as IAF. I made my final turn towards the runway at FSK, no holding, no procedure turn. This was how it was demonstrated during the course and how the FMC wanted to fly it, after entering the Approach, the Star and the Transition.

Herman Nienhuis

I flew STAR: STM1M and Transition: FSK. So inbound from BALAK, with R-092 as IAF. I made my final turn towards the runway at FSK, no holding, no procedure turn. This was how it was demonstrated during the course and how the FMC wanted to fly it, after entering the Approach, the Star and the Transition.
Ok, correct.For your approach VOR BDO (117.55) R-092 is the correct lead in left to HDG299.. at 6000. then down to 5000 to intercept LOC/ ILS (109.10) .Have you tried the approach again? Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

... to 5000 to intercept LOC/ ILS (109.55) .Have you tried the approach again?
I think you meant 109.10?I just flew the approach in the Duke B60. It captured both localizer and G/S. I won't have time to fly a second attempt in the NGX today, but I will try tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for helping me :-)!

Herman Nienhuis

Ok, correct.For your approach VOR BDO (117.55) R-092 is the correct lead in left to HDG299.. at 6000. then down to 5000 to intercept LOC/ ILS (109.55) .Have you tried the approach again?
I think you meant 109.10?I just flew the approach in the Duke B60. It captured both localizer and G/S. I won't have time to fly a second attempt in the NGX today, but I will try tomorrow. Anyway, thanks for helping me :-)!
Yes, 109.10 is correct.If Duke flew it ok your FSX os ok so the PMDG should be ok.Good luck.

Best Regards,