Sign in to follow this  
Adamski_NZ

How are spec or bump maps called?

Hi folks,I'm new at this game so be gentle :Shocked:I've created a repaint for the Alphasim Texan/Harvard. So far so good.I'm trying to add spec and bump maps, but they're just not showing up/having any effect. I've tried saving in extended BMP (DXT5) and also in DDS format - both with alphas - but no luck.Is this a function of the mdl file? I suspect that the model is an old FS9 one, converted to work in FSX - and that there are no calls or entries for the additional maps. I really haven't a clue - but am I on the right track?Other than trial and error, how would I know whether a particular aircraft/model supports bump and spec maps?Adam.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Is this a function of the mdl file? I suspect that the model is an old FS9 one, converted to work in FSX - and that there are no calls or entries for the additional mapsI am afraid you`re right here.If not specified in the mdl file ,adding bumps and specs is not possible .Adding this to the mdl file , only can be done by the maker of the model.Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

There is a newer Texan on the market... Sim Unlimited or something like that. I don't have it re-installed yet, but I do believe... hang on, I have the old computer's C: drive... Yes - this version does support spec and bump, although the makers still use the bitmap format. That doesn't stop you using dds, of course.

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel