Sign in to follow this  
Mapper

Aerocache Maps

Well I just got the Water Water cache.I spent quite awhile over the water in the grid before and after posting here before finally getting it.Can someone check the Aerocache map http://aerocache.com/?p=295 That threw me for a loop as I don't think the map there is of the same cache.I'm a newb, correct me if I'm wrong,thanks for your help, Harold
That's not the correct map on that site. The red pin (the aerocache) is in the middle of the island, while it is in the middle of the sea. The map is called Alaka'i Swamp. O wait, further down is an ingame map: that one is correct.

I got really lucky on Water Water Everywhere, the first spot I put my plane I had the indicator. I did fly back, so it was only half cheating =DThe Red Cabin took me forever for some reason. Enough to where I landed on the lava field and took a break in the cabin.
The easiest way to find the Aerocaches is with the VORs.Water Water is on the Kona VOR (IAI 115.7) 156 radial at 69DME. If you fly at 2000ft, you'll pick up both the VOR and the aerocache indicatorRed Cabin is on the Hilo VOR (ITO 116.9) 235 radial at 28DME. You'll need to fly close to the ground (about 10500ft) to see the indicator pop up.To work out the locations reference VORs, I just research the Aerocache and then use Google Earth to get the bearing+distance.

and then use Google Earth to get the bearing+distance.
Ah, interesting... And how do you get that done? I've been thinking about how to get that information in an easy way...

Ah, interesting... And how do you get that done? I've been thinking about how to get that information in an easy way...
I found a KMZ or KML file (just google search) that has all of the NAVAIDS and airports. Then I just use the GE ruler tool to measure bearing and distance.

Here's another:Waipoo Falls. 14DME on the 317 radial from SOK VOR. There's an Observatory on the hilltop nearby, where you can land the Maule and run down to get the Cache. Just leave a trail of breadcrumbs or something to find a way back your plane.
But the falls are so much fun to just SCREAM down the valley to get, pulling up at the last minute :).

But the falls are so much fun to just SCREAM down the valley to get, pulling up at the last minute :).
CONCUR :Clown:

Take your Best Shot - AeroCache.com' s first competition. Submit some cool screen shots and you could get 1600 Microsoft LIVE points. Check the site for details.

Hi,Regarding "Water, water everywhere": the co-ordinates were provided. I used the Stearman and that GPS thingee and flew to it. I may have converted the location format with my calculator. I did on one mission but I don't recall about this one for sure. Jim F.

HA Microsoft plugged this site today on Facebook.. Awesome stuff

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Hi Mapper! Thanks for all of the hard work. Count me in as a fan.I do have one request/idea:Can you have all of the aerocache points on one map? Or is this a limitation of google earth?I would like to just fly around, and then check the map to see if an aerocache is close by. I would also like to use this to revisit aerocache areas that I have already obtained.Thanks!

It doesn't update all that quickly
you can 'cheat': open the map then close it right away and the sensor is updated. can be helpful if looking for the right direction
I would like to just fly around, and then check the map to see if an aerocache is close by
if close enough flight will tell you when an aerocache is nearby.
Do you have a link to the page?
their facebook page? sure: http://www.facebook.com/msflight

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

if close enough flight will tell you when an aerocache is nearby.
Even in free flight it will give you that display? I am not in aerocache hunt mode. I also do not use the HUD. I will and can, I just think one map with all the points would be awesome. I also think that MS should let us to put notes in the in game map. Too many neat things to see to remember where to return to them. The areocaches are all at neat things, so a map of all of them in one display would be sweet.Thanks.

Even in free flight it will give you that display?Thanks.
Yes even in free flight but you have to be close. Showing them on the map would be against the idea to find them first of all.EDIT: proof attached

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"