Sign in to follow this  
N6330V

Hawaii A/FD

A fellow user started a thread titled "Hawaii airports list" with a file he was kind enough to assemble for us which outlined a summary of all the airports in Hawaii. I wanted to build upon his idea and work and provide a more detailed and realistic resource for those interested but couldn't figure out how, in a satisfactory enough manner, to do so in his thread. As a result, here's this thread with the file...Hope it helps.

Can someone test unusable VOR and DME portions, Lets see how well they programed that?
That would be way cool if MS spent time to add that bit of realism...would really change my perspective on their attitude towards Flight.

Can someone test unusable VOR and DME portions, Lets see how well they programed that?
Does FSX do that...? I doubt MS Flight does it...! Worth checking out though...! :wink:

I think its not important does FSX do that. Someone other can ask does DCS do that? We talk about flight here I think...

Thanks Lj. And to everyone curious about the simulation of VOR 'blind' areas....just went up in the RV and tested out the very first 'blind' area for the Honolulu VOR and, unfortunately....it's not modeled. On the 040 radial at 3000 and 17nm out, both DME and VOR were usable and tracking. On that note, however, doubt that many sims model such realism.

I think its not important does FSX do that. Someone other can ask does DCS do that? We talk about flight here I think...
I asked that because if FSX wouldn't do that, MS Flight probably wouldn't either. I didn't post it to compare anything or to imply that if MS Flight does or does't do it, then FSX etc. etc. etc. It was a attempt to get a quick answer to the question. But Alexander already tested it and as expected it doesn't work. :wink:

Too bad, I AM disappointed, as it is not that hard to make that works. God, there are just two or three VORs at that map.

My thinking is that MS simply overlooked that concept...I'm sure that if enough people suggest it, they might add the lines of code necessary.

A fellow user started a thread titled "Hawaii airports list" with a file he was kind enough to assemble for us which outlined a summary of all the airports in Hawaii. I wanted to build upon his idea and work and provide a more detailed and realistic resource for those interested but couldn't figure out how, in a satisfactory enough manner, to do so in his thread. As a result, here's this thread with the file...Hope it helps.
Information overload. Thanks for assembling and posting.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Too bad, I AM disappointed, as it is not that hard to make that works. God, there are just two or three VORs at that map.
My thinking is that MS simply overlooked that concept...I'm sure that if enough people suggest it, they might add the lines of code necessary.
Hm, I doubt it. I already wonder how much detail all the airports in Alaska will get compared to Hawaii, let alone future US-regions (which have loads of airports). If they also have to check EACH and EVERY VOR for unusable portions and program them in... Sounds like a lot of work to me. Not for Hawaii but certainly for other regions.BTW Getting various unusable portions in the game doesn't sound so simple anyway... How come it's not that hard to make...? It's not that they only have to use one different setting in an xml file. It requires a complete subsystem or whatever you call something like that.Let's not forget that the real target group doesn't even know what a VOR is... :wink:

Hm, I doubt it. I already wonder how much detail all the airports in Alaska will get compared to Hawaii, let alone future US-regions (which have loads of airports). If they also have to check EACH and EVERY VOR for unusable portions and program them in... Sounds like a lot of work to me. Not for Hawaii but certainly for other regions.BTW Getting various unusable portions in the game doesn't sound so simple anyway... How come it's not that hard to make...? It's not that they only have to use one different setting in an xml file. It requires a complete subsystem or whatever you call something like that.Let's not forget that the real target group doesn't even know what a VOR is... :wink:
Actually, you can. That is the most simple solution, just to turn off VOR signal at some radials, but there are more elegant solution with system that calculating masked areas. However that would be a step forward, but as you said, basic target group for MS flight doesnt even know what a VOR is.

Information overload. Thanks for assembling and posting.Ray
Anytime Ray. Enjoy!