Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

Icon A5 Landing on Lake Waiau

The trick to stopping the A5 once on the water is.... lower the gear! It'll stop in a heartbeat with the gear hanging out. You can raise them again as soon as you've slowed enough. Just don't put the gear down BEFORE landing!

Thanks guys! Others have been posting videos doing this with wind, lowering the gear after touching down, from exterior view, etc. But I made sure to use as much realism as possible. The gear never went down...slowed down completely from just lack of power and the sharp turn. I just had to prove that it could be done. :Nerd:

Impressive! I tried it myself with a different tact. I set up some gale force winds at 36 knots and tried to hover it in. I think I can do it if I practice a bit more, but its a LOT of stickwork. The Icon is a feather being blown about!!!
The trick is to come in right on the edge of stalling with just enough power to keep you flying level, and as low as possible. As you are passing from being over land to being over water, pull the throttle all the way back and pull up all the way on the stick until you hear the stall horn beep quicker, and the plane should settle down nicely onto the water. That's when you want to immediately give full right rudder and ailerons to make a sharp turn to avoid touching land on the other side.

Brandon Filer

why does the water go up the hill? bug?
When using lower mesh settings, the ESP base code tends to have this issue. P3D, FSX and FS9 do this.