Sign in to follow this  
FrankFasi

Aces High vs MSFlight: multiplayer smoothness

Since I fly Aces High a lot, I can weigh in on this. What I've noticed in no way makes me like "Flight" less. I love it and will continue to fly it a lot. But, anyone who has flown AH as well as Flight will tell you that the depiction of other players' aircraft in AH is very smooth (maybe even perfect), whereas Flight attains perhaps 75% of that smoothness. I guess the technology that hitechcreations uses for AH to assure that smoothness is proprietary. Too bad that the current state of the art isn't the same for everyone doing multiplayer flying titles. If it can be done everyone should be doing it. I'm not griping, just pointing out what I've noticed.

Is AH still around? Havent heard from those guys in ages! AH is a dedicated MP game and has had many many years to perfect there code, so its no suprise that its better. In fact, for multi-player combat, you better have smooth as butter MP! Flight on the other hand just seems to have multiplayer tacked on. I think a lot of work can be done on the Flight MP code, but its not a high priority yet. Not unless they get some MP concent going. At this point there is very little point in MP, so why dump money and time into it?

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I haven't looked at Aces High, but in Warbirds Dale worked some real magic getting the planes to fly smoothly. Plus he's had a few years to improve it since Warbirds. :DHook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Overall I've been happy with the smoothness in MS Flight multiplayer. I would agree with the OP in that it's smooth for the most part but I've seen smoother. It's also not a gamebreaker either. `Acceptable' but not `great'. I have noticed the multiplayer experience will briefly stutter when syncing after someone new joins. It also needs better match making. I've seen people hosting MP with only 3 other players and everyones ping is 1 to 2 bars and the gameplay is stuttery as all heck obviously.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I remember way back when in Air Warrior. Hundreds of people on, 56K modem, and silky smooth MP. Very little excuse not a days to have bad multi-player code. Its not like its a new thing. Even IL2 has great multi-player.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I remember way back when in Air Warrior. Hundreds of people on, 56K modem, and silky smooth MP. Very little excuse not a days to have bad multi-player code. Its not like its a new thing. Even IL2 has great multi-player.
Yeah but there was a lot of cheating going on in Air Warrior, I'd be tailing a ME-109 in my Mustang coming up on firing range, when I'm just about to pump 6 50's up his tail, a millisecond later, he's behind me firing his 20mm's smoking me. There was a term used for it which I forgot, but they use to do it, by manipulating the modem on the fly.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d