Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

mesh installation

hiI would like to install manually some mesh files and the instructions are:You will install this mesh in any activated scenery directory as for example:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery1) Does this mean that I have to copy all the bgl files directly into the scenery directory?2) Is the scenery file already activated by default or do I have to activate it somewhere?Thank you

I would say, you can copy the blg's to the "scenery" directory of ANY existing scenery that is activated in the scenery library.Or you can copy them to the "scenery" directory of a new directory and add this new directory to the scenery library.

Guest firehawk44

Gottfried is correct in his explanation above but here is some further guidance/explanation:

1) Does this mean that I have to copy all the bgl files directly into the scenery directory?
Yes. But most people make up a new folder and name it for the scenery area, like KLAX for Los Angeles. Under that folder, they have a Scenery folder and a Texture folder. The best explanation I have ever found for addon scenery areas is here - http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?160395-Add-on-Scenery-Files-In-Fsx.
2) Is the scenery file already activated by default or do I have to activate it somewhere?
The Addon Scenery file is activated by default. It was the last scenery area for a default FSX installation. Making a separate scenery area within the Addon Scenery folder is wise as you can then locate this scenery area anywhere within your Scenery Library. Just go to the Scenery Library, click on Add, then goto the Addon Scenery folder and click on the new scenery area you installed. You can now move that one up and down in the Scenery Library to avoid possible layering issues.Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
I must admit that with photoscenery the difference between the default 38 m mesh and the 10 m mesh is barely noticeable
Glad to hear you got it installed. It could be the order of priority. Mesh goes just above propeller objects in the scenery library, then landclass such as UTX, then individual scenery areas like airports from FSDT or FTX/Orbx scenery. You didn't indicate what you installed so no one can comment on your mesh. Anyway, the proper layering in the Scenery Library is most important. Good to hear you made a separate folder and you can even have the mesh located in a folder on another hard drive.Best regards,Jim

I succeeded in installing the 10 m mesh. I made a seperate scenery. I must admit that with photoscenery the difference between the default 38 m mesh and the 10 m mesh is barely noticeable. not really worth it.
I do see a difference between 38m and 10m. Especially rugged terrain becomes more pronounced. Maybe check your mesh complexity slider.