Sign in to follow this  
P-38L

Strange rudder behavior

Very true what you say about the FMs in FLIGHT!

Regarding the editing of airfiles in previous versions of MSFS, I used mainly Ron Freimuth (and the many emails exchanged with him...) as well as Tom Goodrick as my main sources. AirWrench is also an excellent tool!!!

Since the Flight update I'm finding that getting a coordinated turn with the Maule is much easier than it ever was in FSX in any aircraft.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

i'm pretty sure what he means is...when you're flying straight and level, and suddenly just press full left(or right) rudder, the plane stays level as it should, but the nose kicks all the way left(or right) then starts to veer back the other direction, as if you let off the rudder a little.

anyways, if that's what he is saying i get the point, why would the plane kick back the other direction if i didn't let off the rudder?

no clue...rudders don't act completely like they do in real life (in this game)...

for example, i'll pay pal someone 5 bucks if they can preform a full slip descending at or over 1000fpm.

and by that i don't mean, 'preform the maneuver and get the result'...i mean, preform it, get the result, and actually have the plane look like its slipping....it basically just doesn't exist in this game, and its a maneuver i use almost every single time i fly.

Yes You Can! I mean, properly sideslip in FLIGHT!!!

Make sure you're not using the mouse or keyboard, but rather a joystick, otherwise auto-coordination and control damping will not allow for proper sideslips...

i'm pretty sure what he means is...when you're flying straight and level, and suddenly just press full left(or right) rudder, the plane stays level as it should, but the nose kicks all the way left(or right) then starts to veer back the other direction, as if you let off the rudder a little.

anyways, if that's what he is saying i get the point, why would the plane kick back the other direction if i didn't let off the rudder?

no clue...rudders don't act completely like they do in real life (in this game)...

for example, i'll pay pal someone 5 bucks if they can preform a full slip descending at or over 1000fpm.

and by that i don't mean, 'preform the maneuver and get the result'...i mean, preform it, get the result, and actually have the plane look like its slipping....it basically just doesn't exist in this game, and its a maneuver i use almost every single time i fly.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

i use an xbox controller

There's your problem. Try it with a stick or yoke and rudder pedals, and slips are easy.

I don't know about that, but at least in FSX and generally all MS simulators rudder has been way too uneffective. I have never flown a real plane, but based on some ACI episodes and general accident investigations FSX rudder at least on big jets seems like a joke. Rudder going to full left or right position was enough to roll and bring down two 737s in 90¨s, and also around 2000´s Northwest Airlines 747 had other half of its rudder jammed to extreme position, and just that half was enough to give pilots really hard job keeping their aircraft under control. In FSX you can just put it full left or right without having much banking at all.

At least this behavior seems much more realistic in X Plane 10, not sure about Flight as it has only smaller planes.

Desktop flight simulators must have compromises. Since most users don't have accurate force feed back, the "feel" needs to be programmed in. Otherwise, the sim feels artificial, as if you're flying in a vacuum. I've also used a puppet on a string, as a comparison. In cruise flight, rudders are much stiffer in feel, when compared to ailerons & elevators. In order the fool the mind into thinking we're pushing with more force............we just can't have the rudder go full deflection, and the simulated aircraft along with it. In a real plane, you'd never be kicking full rudder at cruise. Because of the forces involved, you wouldn't even get close to it. The same is done to imitate "nose up" ballooning in a Cessna with flap deployment. The nose starts to rise, and you have to add more forward yoke to compensate. By programming the right amount of forward push required, the "feel" of pushing against air loads is accomplished.

You mention X-Plane. Older versions of X-Plane suffered horribly in the "feel" department. There was no delay/dampening built into the programming. It's the sim..........that I compared to the qualities of a marionette on a puppet string, and a vacuum. I found it a true displeasure to use. Happily, X-Plane has changed.

Other than that, there are a few addons for FS9/FSX.............that had some of the best rudder qualities ever. The slips were perfection.

L.Adamson

I slip to reduce speed on short approaches. It's very easy to come in low and slow and land it nearly sideways in most planes in flight. This may not be realistic but it's not hard to do with a stick. You won't be doing it with the mouse though.

It is kind of wierd how the nose goes flip-flopping back and forth when you input full rudder in Flight (or most MS flight sims, as far as I can remember). It looks like you stomped on the rudder then let it go, even when you don't let go.

Sideslipping is very easy in Flight, and also extremely effective when you need to get down in a hurry, just like in real life. It doesn't LOOK anything like in real life, though. In Flight you hardly have to bank at all, while in real life you'd be banked quite a lot more and appearing to be flying almost sideways, accompanied by a markedly increased wind noise. In Flight your nose is just pointed every so slightly to the side, and you're banked maybe 2-3 degrees at most. It works, but looks very, very wrong.

Not quite as annoying as the fact that the wheels never touch the ground in Flight, though. Park your plane on a slight incline, facing sideways. You'll notice that it slowly glides down the slope, because the wheels aren't touching the ground, and there's almost no friction! This explains why you can't turn the airplanes on the ground, too. Well, you CAN turn, but last time I tried it, most airplanes could turn a little tighter than a semi trailer. In flight, they can't.