Sign in to follow this  
Randy Novak

REX and GEX in P3D.

Hey Guys/Gals,

I recently picked up the sim and have been looking around for a way to get REX and GEX to function in P3D. Has anyone actually been able to do it successfully? I have yet to find any type of direction as to how to do it. :/

I am thinking maybe I got REX to work, based on this screen shot of the sun and clouds.... GEX however is a different story...

REX AFAIK just need to be pointed at the P3d folder, you may want to copy/paste the P3d exe and rename it FSX.

GEX from what i have read, needs to be installed to a dummy FSX directory and then you can manually copy the texture files over to your P3d Install.(backup first!).

good luck.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but I am not sure I follow. Just point REX to the P3D folder and done correct? What does it mean to copy/paste the P3D.exe and rename it to FSX... won't that screw up P3d by renaming the exe? Just wondering...

As for GEX, what do you mean a dummy folder? Just make any folder called FSX, say on my DT and install GEX to that then just copy paste the textures into P3d? If so, where do they go into P3d? Thanks for any clairification. :P Maybe you could provide a Step 1, Step 2 type thing? Thanks!

When you copy and paste you will get a copy of the P3d.exe, that is what you will rename FSX.exe

in the rex setup program, you made a choice of your FSX folder once, now, on that same page just choose your P3d Folder, and it should install.

---------

For GEX I am speculating, but I will try it tonight.

If you have FSX installed on your drive I would make a new folder in the same location, now rename your original FSX folder to something else, the name the new folder FSX, and you will have a dummy folder.

Now run the GEX installer and it should put the files into the dummy folder (hopefully) in the correct locations.

since P3d and FSX have a very similar file structure I would just copy the file over, but make sure you backup the originals.

Like I said I will try this tonight and see how it goes and report back...

Yeah, I did it last night, you can either point the installer to P3d or install to a dummy folder, either works and the textures look beautiful

I also got UTX installed, that required some manipulation of the scenery config which I did with SCM2004.

My default sim looks beautiful now.

I had a problem trying to get REX pointed to P3D. The Configuration Manager wants to know the location of the folder containing fsx.cfg. But the Prepar3D folder contains Prepar3D.cfg, not fsx.cfg. Is there a trick to get REX to try to read the Prepar3D.cfg file, or am I missing something?

Just point it to the Prepar3d folder... ie. C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D

Make a copy of FSX.EXE and stick it into your P2D folder. Most programs need only that file name to make them feel good.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I know this topic is quite old at this point, but I have REX working fine since they updated it for P3D v2.... GEX however, still wants to find the FSX installation.  Is there a newer way around this or am I still looking at installing into FSX then copying the textures over to P3d?

Another question might be, where does GEX install the textures to from the DATA 1 and 2 and the UT1, 4 and 5 folders into FSX?