Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Starting my Flight training in 2 weeks

Finally got the nerve up to start working on my PPL and when I went to sign up, one of the ole Aviators said I could come in and use the SImulator for a discount and I said sure, didn't really look at what gear/setup they had I just assumed it was an older version of X-plane. One of the things he did say was to him the simulator was way harder than flying a real plane. Which got me to thinking on the big debate between MSFS and XP's flight dynamics. Needless to say I'm no expert in either and I hope when I finish my first trainnig flight I will be able to say at least GA-wise which felt the closet. Been practicing SIM-wise in a Piper PA28s as I think I'm going to be using something similar. Honestly though I hope it's not as hard as XPX, even though I can get the job done its way more of a workout than the MSFS fly and forget.

As far as flying and control, real world flying is much easier than simulation. The difference, when you are a thousand feet of the ground, you are aware, "I don't want to be sloppy", there is no reset button here. :smile:

When you come in or a landing, the first time, you are doubly aware, but the difference I think, is just getting the confidence that you can do it.

Been practicing SIM-wise in a Piper PA28s as I think I'm going to be using something similar. Honestly though I hope it's not as hard as XPX, even though I can get the job done its way more of a workout than the MSFS fly and forget.

It shouldn't be more of a workout. If it is, then the settings are too touchy, or turbulence is being simulated. MSFS is usually less turbulence by default. In smooth calm weather, my real life flights at close to 200 mph, give the impression of almost sitting still. I've often made comments in flight, that simmers seem to think that the aircraft should be constantly moving around, as in up and down, and side to side. That's a false notion. In real life...... mornings and late afternoons, it can be an exceptionally smooth ride. Other than that, I don't find much difference between the better modeled FSX & X-Plane aircraft.

L.Adamson

I just started flying too, and the first advice I give you is, don't fly simulators when you start your real flight training. Instead, READ, a lot, about the maneuvers that you did on your previous flight, and the ones you know you're going to do on the next, that will help you a LOT more, knowing that to look for, the proper reactions, the correct technique. I use the FAA Aircraft Flying Handbook, which I have been told is the most up to date and best way to learn about the maneuvers.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-3B.pdf

Go and have at look at that, read it more than one, but only the maneuvers you tried or will try on your next flight, don't try to read the whole book at once.

The simulation is great for familiarization with the systems, or even planning a cross country flight, but for your initial PPL license what you're looking for is developing the feel for the aircraft, the control weight, the G Force, the feel for a coordinated or uncoordinated turn, etc and that a simulation will never be able to give you

Good luck with your training!!

Alexis Mefano