Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Same Machine , 2 FSX directories ?

I'd like to have the choice between 2 installs ...

An Orbx FSX install and a GEX/UTX/SceneryTech install.

Why ... in some PNW areas I prefer the performance

and appearance of one over the other.

I did a fresh install of Acceleration, then backed up the full FSX directory.

Then I installed Orbx and VancouverPlus3.

Was thinking now to rename that top level directory of the Orbx install as FSXinactive,

and restore my backed up original FSX directory then install GEX ,UTX on top of it.

Then I would have 2 FSX installs and could hopefully switch by simply renaming top level of the active and inactive one.

Will that work, or does FSX save key info outside of the main FSX directory that would cause issues?

Isn't that what's the FTX config utility for? To toggle on and off ORBX scenery? That aside, you can't install a second copy to the same system. You can copy your FSX folder and run from it, however there will only be one registry entry pointing to the primary install, which could cause problems with some addons. PMDG for one. (Causes Navigation tracking problems). You can switch back and forth using the Flight 1 Registry repair utility to point to the second install, but for me, I wouldn't want to be messing with the registry that often. That's a recipe for disaster, if for some reason it messes up.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Both installs would be on the same HD and the active one would always have the same path.

My top level dir is called FSX

and I'd have another called FSXInactive,

and just swap names / rename as needed.

So the registry entries would not need to be changed or am I missing something?

What would happen is each FSX would call upon the same scenery.cfg file so I don't think what you are proposing would work. You would need to go to the scenery.cfg and back it up for one setup and swap it with the other when you wanted to use the other setup.

Disregarding any EULA stuff about multiple installs.

What you would or could do is this:

Install FSX Acceleration, clean install.

Make a completed copy of that install in another folder or HD.

Use a registry utility to link in the second copy to your registry. Install all your Orbx stuff and whatever you want in this version. Backup the scenery.cfg file in a sub folder of that main FSX settings folder.

To use the original install again, just click on the registry utility to read the original install. Then running the second install you would install all the other stuff you wanted in that install. Backup that scenery.cfg file in a new separate sub folder of the main FSX settings folder.

Basically you would have two setups that you can swap the scenery.cfg file and using the registry utility can switch between them.

I think this would work.

Or

Load up you FSX with everything - Orbx/Vancouver+3,GEX/UTX/SceneryTech install the FTX will take priority over all the other stuff. When you switch back to FSX default using the Orbx Central, your FSX default will actually be FSX with GEX/UTX/Scenery Tech showing.

I have Orbx/GEX/UTX and I have no idea why you really would want to fly default but you could if you wanted. If I shut off my Orbx I get my GEX and UTX as the default because I have those configs setup turned on. Of course its even possilble to shut off UTX and revert to the real default textures if you want to use those configs to do so.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like its easiest just to install all as suggested and turn off FTX when desired.