Sign in to follow this  
djsebx

Enhance the voice recordings in RCv4

Hello !

Maybe some of you have heard about Flight sim voices US Flight crew vol.1 .. and visiting their forum I read the maker's topic about how to enhance the voice recordings for RCv4.

http://www.flightsimvoices.com/forumsm/index.php?topic=18.0

He's explaining his own technique to reduce the most possible the robotic feeling when you listen to RCv4 controllers or pilots.

First I understood that there's no magical solution because one number recorded alone will never sound smooth played in different part of a sentence because of the tones and rythm one puts in the surroiunding words.

He explains it better than me but read this : "AA42, you're cleared for taxi to runway 20L", the "2" number is always the same WAV file, but this sentence pronounced in one shot and cut in different WAV files will produce different "2" sounds.

At that point, you get there's no perfect solution but if you record a full sentence, and cut the words, instead of recording them one by one, then it may sound better than the original recordings brought by RCv4.

It sounds to me like a nice idea to introduce during development process, maybe for an enhancement in a future release.

Sebastien BELLUTEAU

RC combines phrases stated in scripts. For the same voice the "2" might be at the beginning or trailing at the end. RC from what I've seen tends not to put the variable sounds at the beginning or end of the assembled command.

In RC 4 the number of wav files in each pilot voice is about 1,800 and for a controller 1,900. Now you are talking about multiplying many of at least the numeric waves within each voice. Multiply by the number of voices and you have just about an unmanageable amount. How would you in scripting distinguish one "2" from another.

Synthesized voices were looked at way back, in fact for beta testing RC5 they are used. Talk about robotic sounding.

In fact, the recording volunteers are given scripts that they record each phrase a number of times and the best one is chosen.

Numerics are recorded in phrases from 0 to ninety-nine plus special numerics like aircraft types such as 727. Common multiple word phrases are recorded as are manufacturer and airport names.

If someone wants to volunteer . . . and jd wants to code expanded copies of multiple scripts . . .

(clue - I don't think that is going to happen.)

There is a freeware voice pack on avsim. Search for "Meatwater".

Make sure you back up all the Winwood folders to be replaced.