Sign in to follow this  
ARCO

Problems with NVidia GTX 680 in FSX

I used all Word Not Allowed's tweaks and installed the latest driver released this week for my NVidia GTX 680 2G and enjoy my FSX experience. However, I still have a nasty problem (that is not systematic but very frequent with FSX:

1- If I go to an FSX menu, chances are that I may get a corrupted or flashing screen or with incomplete picture rendition (buttons visible but no more panels) when returning to FSX (full screen mode)

2- If I put FSX in Windowed mode to have access to other programmes such as MCE, I may have the same corrupted screen when returning to FSX in full screen mode

3- If I reduce the FSX window to the task bar, I may not be able to reestablish it in full screen

Those problems happened with various screen resolutions.

I wonder if anyone experience this problem too and found a fix as it is limiting the ability to use FSX quite a lot.

Thank you.

Windows 7 64bits, Asus z77, Intel I7 3770K, RAM 8 Gz, NVidia GTX 680 2G

Guest firehawk44

Something is starving your system of resources. Do you have virtual memory (page file) settings set to 'System Managed Size'? Check your FSX settings. Perhaps you have your sliders set too high. Make sure you have highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section of the fsx.cfg. Look at any BufferPool settings in the fsx.cfg (if you used that tweak). If you have the settings, place a couple of slashes \\ next to one or both of the entries to disable them temporarily and save your fsx.cfg (such as \\BufferPools=). See if this fixes the problem. The BufferPool setting has been known to cause video issues on some systems. If you haven't tried it already, you can also try the [bufferPools] RejectThreshold=98304 tweak. That has helped a lot of people. In any case, something is starving your system of resources and it's not necessarily in your FSX configuration.

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you Jim for your assistance, I will try your advice and shall revert on this thread to report. Just to clarify, I have already implemented the HIGHMEMFIX=1 in my FSX cfg as well as the BUFFERPOOL setting recommended by Word Not Allowed. The difficulty is that it is not a systematic problem so it may take a couple of flights before I get it again.

May I please ask where I can find the "System managed size" in Windows 7 (I am new on this system)? Tough learning curve!

Many thanks again. Kind regards.

Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change

Jim, I just completed a flight with two detailed sceneries, a lot of weather and PMDG 737 NGX with no problem whatsoever after making the following changes: // BUFFERPOOLS and unlimited frames in FSX (no outside limitation either), that more than doubled (you read correctly) my frames from 12 to 26 in the same location on LEPA.

FYI my file management remained as it was (managed by the system) and I did have HIGHMEMFIX activated.

All my FSX sliders are to the maximum.

No stuttering at all, a very fluid image. I also went in and out of FSX several times, to the FSX menus (Flight planning) and nothing happened this time, my FSX screen was coming back with no corruption at all.

So I want to thank you for your help once more for solving my problem.

Only two small details that are not show stoppers:

• When I clicked to get my kneeboard, it was not appearing on the FSX screen but outside on the desktop, probably due to my voluntary frequent changes from desktop to FSX to see if my image would remain stable
  • The FSX menu bar would at times not disappear from the top of my FSX screen.

With best regards and reiterated thanks.

Press and hold ALT to toggle the menu bar

"If I reduce the FSX window to the task bar, I may not be able to reestablish it in full screen"

Press ALT+ENTER

Guest firehawk44

So I want to thank you for your help once more for solving my problem.

You're more than welcomed and thanks for your nice comments. Need to thank Word Not Allowed too for his detailed post on setting up your system properly. If you go to full screen (Alt+Enter) you won't have the kneeboard issue as Dario posted above. In regards to Unlimited Frames settings, I totally agree. I got twice as many frames too when I went from 30 to Unlimited. FTX/Orbx developers recommend Unlimited for their scenery and I believe MegaScenery does too. So I always fly Unlimited when in those areas. It's easily changeable on the fly by going into the Menu and clicking on Options/Settings. Wish you continued success with your system/FSX. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Jim

I don't see how a GTX 680 could cause these problems. I want to buy this card, but all those conflicting info I'm getting makes me doubt. :Nail Biting:

But I need this card because I play other games too.

Jean-Claude,

Just curious, what happens if you now put UsePools=0 back under [bUFFERPOOLS]? You should see a big improvement in FPS but just wondering if you still have problems. It might just have been fixed by coincidence lol.

I don't see how a GTX 680 could cause these problems. I want to buy this card, but all those conflicting info I'm getting makes me doubt. :Nail Biting:

But I need this card because I play other games too.

Jean-Claude,

Just curious, what happens if you now put UsePools=0 back under [bUFFERPOOLS]? You should see a big improvement in FPS but just wondering if you still have problems. It might just have been fixed by coincidence lol.

you don't NEED anything ;)

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I do need it, as I currenlty have no video card and a GTX 5xx card is currently a waste of money because they are just as expensive at the GTX 670 but perform 50% worse.

I do need it, as I currenlty have no video card and a GTX 5xx card is currently a waste of money because they are just as expensive at the GTX 670 but perform 50% worse.

NEED Want

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK