Sign in to follow this  
Guest dlrk

Overclocking i7-2700k

Guest dlrk

Looking for some overclocking advice. I built a new computer using a i7-2700k and a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard with a Corsair H100 cooler. I have the 2700k overclocked at 4.5Ghz with Vcore of 1.38 and the multiplier at 45 with the base clock remaining at 100Mhz. It's stable, tested with Prime95 for 10 hours and counting. The highest the temperature of any core has gotten 76C, however it has generally been around 70C(measured with Coretemp).

I'm not an overclocking expert, so I have some questions I was hoping I could get some help with:

Does the base clock need to be raised or can I leave at 100Mhz?

Do I need to change/increase any voltages other than the Vcore?

What is the max temperature?

Thanks. I'm hoping to push it to 5.

Hi ,

I am not so expert on OC , but I overclocked my 2700K/Asus Z77 to 4.5Ghz with Vcore 1.28 , 30min Prime95 test passed and Temp was around 62C(full load). All of other voltages are in "AUTO". I think with your excellent cooler You can push to 4.8-5Ghz with ~70C. Did turn off HT? no benefit in FSX and will let you to use lower Vcore.

Regards

Leave bclk at 100 on your CPU, just use the multiplier. Voltage is only increased when your oc becomes unstable, lower vcore = lower temps. As mentioned above, disable hyperthreading. It won't help fsx & disabling it will let your CPU run slightly cooler. As for temps, mine stays fairly warm as well. Just monitor temps when your using fsx & keep it below 80 for longevity.

You only need to mess with base clock when you have a locked multiplier.