Sign in to follow this  
Marko2002

Please help with the autopilot!

I am using the 737NG 600/700. So here's my question. Is there a way to use the autopilot independent from the FMC?

Or to clarify: I have set up the FMC and configured the MCP panel; I took off, engaged the autopilot, LNAV, VNAV etc. and everything is going great. But perhaps in flight I want to say, okay - I want to hold this altitude, this heading, this vertical speed etc. Independent from the FMC. So basically, I want to fly as if there is no FMC, but I want to use the autopilot! How am I supposed to set up the MCP panel for this to happen?

I've been looking all over the web for an answer but couldn't find it.

Hope you understand my question.

Please help.

Is this for the iFly 737 or the old PMDG series?

The old PMDG. But it shouldn't matter, right?

But it shouldn't matter, right?

Correct - but I was just curios since I only have the iFly and therefore can only know for sure it works on that. You should be able to programme the FMC for flight and then use the MCP because that's exactly what I do most flights.

There's a heading indicator on the MCP - set that to your desired heading and select the heading button nearby (Can't recall what it says).

As for altitude, there's exactly the same on the right hand side of the panel. Select the altitude and then "Alt Hold" then you should be good to go.

That's exactly how I fly my iFly.

Hm... Sounds like something I already would have tried. But I'll try again.

And what about the CMD/CWS switches? Do I just leave the CMD A switch on?

CMD A or B needs to be on, that's the Autopilot main switch. Only one - the only time both are needed is during an ILS Autoland.

Just use heading select and flight level change for lateral and vertical navigation. Not using the 737 at the moment but the principal is the same as the 767. Use vertical speed as a last resort, not like the MS default a/c. It is only really useful for non-precision approaches to descend on the approach profile.

You should have the necessary buttons on the MCP.

Colin B