Sign in to follow this  
djbrowndog

New installation - updater issues

Hi all,

I received my hard copy of X-Plane 10 the other day and have installed the program last night.

After several frustrating attempts at installation I downloaded the installer/updater from the X-plane 10 site and finally, successfully (i think!) installed the sim. After the installation the updater prompted that there were updates available so i proceeded to continue with the updates.

The update is downloading INCREDIBLY slow although seems to be doing something. I have ADSL 2+ and generally download a lot of stuff and get speeds of 90+ kbps even with a couple of things downloading at the same time. Its not the fastest service but ok. My firewall is off and X-Plane 10 has access to internet through anti virus and my router. At this stage X-Plane 10 is downloading at approx 18kbps from 3 servers, estimating a 25 hour install time. Is there any reason that this would be chugging along so slow? very frustrating as I haven't had a chance to fire up the sim yet. I have included a screen shot of the updater and two separate speed tests.

Any help/thoughts/advice would be welcomed!

Thanks,

[frustrated] dj

[`[*Test Results from <a href=http://www.ozspeedte...ts/21211307">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]

[(----------------------------------

Test run on [*16/06/2012*] @ [*01:17 PM*])]

(Mirror: [*iPrimus*]

Data: [*3 MB*]

Test Time: [*11.16 secs*])

(Your line speed is [*2.19 Mbps*] (2195 kbps).

Your download speed is [*274 KB/s*] (0.27 MB/s). )

http://www.speedtest.../2011484445.png

Hi dj,

first off my copy of XP10 had a big sticker on it warning NOT to use the included installer, but to go online and download and use a new installer - that might have saved you the initial trouble.

As for your download speed being so low - no idea. Usually the speed is faster, unless there is a huge new update that everyone is leeching - which is currently not the case.

You might want to either just leave the computer running (and hope for better speeds down the line) or stop and re-initiate the download. I think the installer is smart enough to scan what you have and not re-download the whole batch.

Also make sure you have the right options selected when starting the download. It´s all too easy to start downloading the demo instead of updating your existing installation.

Jan

Thanks Jan. Unfortunately no sticker on my copy!

Just restarted the download and says 2.7gb of update to download so pretty sure its not hitting the demo. Getting much better speeds now tho... still a 12 hour wait however @ 55 kbps. have emailed x-plane techs too.

Well, one thing thats positive about the big download - you get some new planes (C-130), and a lot of new artwork (cities) and other fixes that have been missing for 1.0

Check out this site:

http://wiki.x-plane.com/Beta

for a summary of all the things fixed and added during the development run of XP10

Jan

x-plane download speeds were always slow for me, around 100kB/s. And I have a 12 mbit connection.

I'm on my AT&T Atrix 4G right now and get 90-120kbps downloading. Man, I have been spoiled with my 4.5MBps cable connection. Any time I download an update, it seems to cook at about 120-140kbps per server and the files usually aren't THAT big, the biggest I remember is 150MB for the initial scenery patches and aircraft patches and it took like 10 mins at most. It took longer to install the files than download them.